Do you think a married women can be just friends with a single guy? Or a married guy friends with a single girl?

I answered a question last night on here that got me thinking. My best friend is a guy (he is single) I am married. I talk to him pretty much everyday and we talk about everything. DH knows about everything really likes this guy and it doesn't make him uncomfortableat all but sometimes when i mention that my best friend is a guy i get people that say its inappropriate so i am curious as to what you ladies think? Most of my friends IRL are guys...honestly i think its easier sometimes to be friends with guys because there is no "drama".  If you think it is inappropriate can you explain to me why? If I had a best friend who was a girl and we talked all the time about everything it wouldn't be weird so why the difference...oh and i get the thing people say about the single persons intentions might not be good but i feel as long as MY intentions are pure then who cares?

momofone072506

Asked by momofone072506 at 3:54 PM on Feb. 2, 2011 in Relationships

• If its okay for you, wonderful. It's not okay for us, we have only couple friends or same sex friends. I feel like having opposite sex friends is not necessary and possibly asking for trouble. Or at least it has the possibility of making your spouse uncomfortable, which is not okay at all.
    Orionsgirl

Answer by Orionsgirl at 3:57 PM on Feb. 2, 2011

• I think it's completely possible. I think it's the jealous and insecure who have problems with it....

skittles1108

Answer by skittles1108 at 3:58 PM on Feb. 2, 2011

• Yes I do because I have single male friends and work with them as well now that I am single it does not really matter but when I was in a relationship it did not matter either.
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 3:58 PM on Feb. 2, 2011

• Yes. I am married and I have a couple single guy friends. My husband knows them all and trust me.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 3:58 PM on Feb. 2, 2011

• The only reason it would be innappropriate is if there are romantic feelings, you interact on an intimate level (cuddling, kiss hello/goodbye, etc), or something of that nature. Otherwise there's nothing wrong with having opposite gender best friends whether single or married. I think people think that because they're single that they'll instantly be like "BE WITH ME", but not everyone is romantically attracted to everyone. There is a such thing as a platonic relationship.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 3:59 PM on Feb. 2, 2011

• I have a best friend who is a single guy too. It's been that way since before I even met my husband. At first, my husband was a little weirded out that we were so close (because we seriously even hold hands whenever we're together), but it didn't take him long to see that we are just like a super-close brother/sister. It helps that some of my husband's best friends have been girls too. I don't think it's anyone else's place to tell a person what is appropriate for her situation at all. If you and your husband and your bff and his significant others are all secure and happy, then tell nosey people to mind their own.
    misses_nick

Answer by misses_nick at 4:00 PM on Feb. 2, 2011

• I wonder if some people are so sexually repressed that it corrupts their thinking and turns every member of their preferred sex into a potential sex partner. That's half the planet, people! —unless you're bi, and then that's everyone. Get some standards, for goodness' sake!
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 4:01 PM on Feb. 2, 2011

• Yes, because I've done it--I say done because he is now married as well.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 4:01 PM on Feb. 2, 2011

LOL!!! OMG i love it! seriously if it wouldn't close the question i would totally give you best answer right now!

momofone072506

Comment by momofone072506 (original poster) at 4:03 PM on Feb. 2, 2011

• As long as you know you have boundaries then I don't see any problem with that. I really enjoy talking to single guys because they give me a different perspective that a women. Don't worry, specially if your hubby knows about him.
    bratgirln1

Answer by bratgirln1 at 4:06 PM on Feb. 2, 2011