can anyone give insight into 1 corinthians 5:9-13

I wrote to you in my letter not to associate with sexually immoral people— 10 not at all meaning the people of this world who are immoral, or the greedy and swindlers, or idolaters. In that case you would have to leave this world. 11 But now I am writing to you that you must not associate with anyone who claims to be a brother or sister[c] but is sexually immoral or greedy, an idolater or slanderer, a drunkard or swindler. Do not even eat with such people.

12 What business is it of mine to judge those outside the church? Are you not to judge those inside? 13 God will judge those outside. “Expel the wicked person from among you.”[d]

fordeeperroots

Asked by fordeeperroots at 3:59 PM on Feb. 2, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

• I think it is saying quit worrying about judging non christians, we need to clean up our own act and deal with the issues that are in our own church first. How can we say we are Christians and have greedy, sexually immoral people in the church and set an example for the outside world? I have seen churches hold people accountable before. If they have an affair and wont publicly repent at the church then they are asked to leave (especially if they are a leader at the church) I think it prob comes from this verse.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 4:06 PM on Feb. 2, 2011

• I will give you my humble opinion. This is Paul speaking to the Corinthians, and he is saying to them, don't associate with sexually immoral people, then he clarifies he's not talking about the non-believers because there are no perfect, pure people in the world period, but he means the other Christians who are sexually immoral, greedy, idolate or slanderous, alcoholic theifs. Its seems to me like he is saying it's ok to judge other Christians in a way, because if they really belong to God they don't act that way and their hypocrosy leads others away from Christians, and they are infected with bad spirits. Jesus didn't come to heal the Christians, he came to heal the "sick". Associating with the "sick" people outside of the church is the only way we can try to help them and help them find God, however Christians who act that way already know God but choose to deny Him, they are His to deal with.
    JackieGirl007

Answer by JackieGirl007 at 4:15 PM on Feb. 2, 2011

• I agree with both posters above. I think this is basically saying that a person who is not a Christian doesn't know better....even if they do sin, they may not feel bad about it or want to repent... so you shouldnt shun them. But a Christian who's sexually immoral, etc has no excuse - b/c they do knwo better... and if knowing better they still choose to all themselves Christian and live like that , then you shouldnt get attached to such people.
    Mamma2E

Answer by Mamma2E at 4:26 PM on Feb. 2, 2011

• I think it may be talking about excommunication or dissassociation.
    2tinyhineys

Answer by 2tinyhineys at 6:24 PM on Feb. 2, 2011

• First of all you need to have an understanding of the Church of Corinth and the culture during that time. The church was being corrected on how they judge people. It is apparent that they were also judging non believers and Paul is addressing this issue.
    We also have to gain understanding of what judging means. In this case Paul said only judge those within the church. It does not say judge who they are but judge what they are doing. In this case some were committing sexual immorality and yet claiming they were believers. They needed to repent of this or people should not associate with those committing this sin. It does not mean saying they are evil but that what they are DOING is evil. It is obvious those outside the church ( non believers) are going to commit these things. That is a no brainer and not our place to tell them they are wrong. Our place as believers is to find the gold in midst of the dirt within them cont
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 8:17 PM on Feb. 2, 2011

• and speak life to them that will allow Holy Spirit to draw them to the Kingdom. For those in the church we are to help our brother or sister be free of sin but if they CHOOSE to continue and not repent then we cannot associate with them. This is only in extreme cases. More often than not if addressed in a love, gracious and gentle manner they will turn from those sins and work on being set free. We are also to speak life words into their lives as well. The key is to reconcile them back to the Heart of the Father NOT throw them out of the church. The Corinthians were allowing sin to run rampant in the church and not dealing with it in a correct and loving manner, instead they were too buys correcting the wrong people and Paul was basically saying STOP IT!
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 8:20 PM on Feb. 2, 2011

• In the Message it breaks it down much better. It helps to read different versions to get a better perspective on the message of the scripture.
    1 Corinthians 5:9-13 (The Message)
    9-13I wrote you in my earlier letter that you shouldn't make yourselves at home among the sexually promiscuous. I didn't mean that you should have nothing at all to do with outsiders of that sort. Or with crooks, whether blue or white-collar. Or with spiritual phonies, for that matter. You'd have to leave the world entirely to do that! But I am saying that you shouldn't act as if everything is just fine when a friend who claims to be a Christian is promiscuous or crooked, is flip with God or rude to friends, gets drunk or becomes greedy and predatory. You can't just go along with this, treating it as acceptable behavior. I'm not responsible for what the outsiders do, but don't we have some responsibility for those within our community of believers?
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 8:23 PM on Feb. 2, 2011

• God decides on the outsiders, but we need to decide when our brothers and sisters are out of line and, if necessary, clean house.
    Shaneagle777

• Basically it says not to associate with people who are spiritually unclean, but claim to be Christians. Also it says to leave the judging up to God.
    LizzieAnnesMom

Answer by LizzieAnnesMom at 1:12 AM on Feb. 3, 2011