Making a quilt from baby clothes.... what size should I make the squares?

I have a good deal of old baby clothes that are shirnk or stained (not worth keeping or dontating) and I want to start cutting but I am not sure what size or shape to cut. Any advice?

lmt_mom2010

Asked by lmt_mom2010 at 4:06 PM on Feb. 2, 2011 in Hobbies & Crafts

• I LOVE that idea.. SO Cute.. can you make me one? loL!~ you should do squares like the old heavy quilts that used to be hand made..
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 4:08 PM on Feb. 2, 2011

• It depends on the size of the clothes...I started one for my son and i had to make them 4x4. He was in newborn clothes at first and I wanted to use those as well so they had to be small squares. Good luck....see what your smallest size is and then just see how big of a square you can make out of it. Have fun!
    Shelii

Answer by Shelii at 4:09 PM on Feb. 2, 2011

• Guessing that you are using a lot of t-shirts and stretchy material. They should be faced on the back with a lightweight interfacing. It will make cutting and sewing a lot easier and more even. You don't have to use muslin, like a lot of sites and books will suggest.

The size of the cut pieces will depend on the size of the shirt to be cut. You cannot make a 6" square out of something that is 4 inches. I did a t-shirt quilt out of some of DH's work shirts. I think the squares were 9 inches but he's a full grown adult.

balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 5:24 PM on Feb. 2, 2011

• seems like 4 x 4 would be good since they are baby clothes and are small. What a great thing to receive.
    istealcookies

Answer by istealcookies at 8:53 PM on Feb. 2, 2011

• FOR THE BABY CHECK THE CRIB OR NOT TO EXTRA BIG?
    GlitteribonMom

Answer by GlitteribonMom at 5:29 AM on Feb. 3, 2011

• i want to make it twin size for his new bed, that my DH is building him
    lmt_mom2010

Comment by lmt_mom2010 (original poster) at 7:44 AM on Feb. 3, 2011

• How cute...and an automatic family keepsake.

Backing with lightweight interfacing (for stability) is a great idea. If some of the items are pretty small, you can 'enlarge' your pieces by framing them in a cute print or baby-plaid fabric. ( Maybe the same fabric that you also use to bind or back the quilt.) That way, you can have larger/fewer squares, of a uniform size, and your quilt will come together more quickly. GL with this wonderful project. :-)
    ss_mom

Answer by ss_mom at 3:00 PM on Feb. 3, 2011

• I am a beginning quilter but I am working a strip quilt.
    Librarylady60

Answer by Librarylady60 at 8:05 PM on Feb. 4, 2011

• the 4 x 4 sounds like a good size. Great idea I love it.
    chris219

Answer by chris219 at 5:35 PM on Feb. 6, 2011

• I cut mine in 4x4 or 5x5, depending on the fabric and how big I want the squares. If there are a lot of squares with larger patterns on them, I'll use the larger size (5x5) but if the patterns are small enough, I'll use 4x4.
    ShaunnaMichelle

Answer by ShaunnaMichelle at 5:08 AM on Feb. 7, 2011