Fly or Drive?

I am going away in about a week or so. I thought about renting an economy car and driving the 7 hours, but my husband wants me to fly. I figure, both will cost around the same when you factor in gas for driving, and since it takes a little while to get to the airport, you have to get there early for security, and also I have a layover, the time spent traveling will nearly be the same. I can't seem to make up my mind and time is running out. On one hand I don't mind the driving, but if I get tired, oops, there's no turning back. On the other hand, I could have some reading time if I fly, but the thought of spending the time doing all the airport stuff and the waiting isn't exactly working for me either.

amybaby_19

Asked by amybaby_19 at 4:13 PM on Feb. 2, 2011 in Travel

• if it were me I would drive although my DH would not want me driving alone. I personally like driving!
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 4:25 PM on Feb. 2, 2011

• Depends on the amount of time available. Prefer flying myself.
    Liveyourlifeval

Answer by Liveyourlifeval at 4:33 PM on Feb. 2, 2011

• 7 hours of driving is not fun, but not a big deal, either. I'd probably drive and avoid all the airport headaches.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 4:41 PM on Feb. 2, 2011

• Only 7 hours?? Drive for sure. I usually drive 17 hours to get home and then back every 6 months. I do the majority of the driving. I also take my own car so it cuts down on the expense.
    ashisamom

Answer by ashisamom at 4:42 PM on Feb. 2, 2011

• If both trips would cost the same amount of money - why not fly and relieve yourself of the 7 hr drive there and back.
    I've taken several trips where I've had to drive 5-10 hrs and it's very tiring (I usually have to drink those 5 hr energy shots to stay awake).
    Personally - I would fly, but that's just my opinion (sit back, relax, read a book, have a conversation with someone you meet on the palne, etc..)
    4bridges

Answer by 4bridges at 4:43 PM on Feb. 2, 2011

• I would not fly right now if you paid me, so I would pick drive.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 4:55 PM on Feb. 2, 2011

• Driving. 1: your car never leaves without you, 2: your car doesn't try to make you take your clothes off because you look suspicious or the metallic thread in your pants set off a metal detector ( if you do fly, make sure you were underwear, just saying.) 3: If you feel sick and think you need to stop moving for a minute, you're SOL on a plane, and chances of an open bathroom to purge yourself in are slim. 4: at the end of the day, even though you're sharing the bill with many more people, driving a car instead of flying is still more environmentally kind. the Id part of me enjoys flying, in a "whee, I'm flying! gimme Coffee!" kind of way, but the rest of me still turns it down every time.
    mother-fox

Answer by mother-fox at 5:36 PM on Feb. 2, 2011

• I t really depends on what you would be best . I like to fly if it is a trip. but driving 7 hours is not fun, I would probly last 1 HOUR.
    Sw_Dolphin

Answer by Sw_Dolphin at 6:43 AM on Feb. 3, 2011

• I would drive. We actually drove to Florida in December, and that was 15 hours. We split it over two days and it was SO much fun. I love road trips. I do like flying, but I usually only fly if it's an international trip.
    JessiFaye

Answer by JessiFaye at 10:07 AM on Feb. 4, 2011

• For me I hate to drive-eats up a whole day there and then back-I always fly.
    Queenofscrap

Answer by Queenofscrap at 1:44 PM on Feb. 6, 2011