how do I save my sanity????

I'm at home with one child who is sick and another who is a hellion sick or healthy. She's healthy right now but what does it matter? Neither listen and I can feel myself coming down with something. I am out of ideas, strength and patience. They need naps, they won't take naps, no matter how many times I put them in their rooms, bribe them, make quiet time, make demands. I'm so sick of this shit, I really am. Everyone has been sick, taking turns with something since the end of November. There is no one I can call. I've tried to stay grateful, grateful that we live in a country where we have access to medicine, grateful I can be home taking care of them, but quite frankly, it feels like a curse at this moment. They're 4 and 2 years old and impossible.

What do you do when you're at your wits end? They're in their rooms at this moment screaming and I don't even want to face them. I wish I could leave the house. I feel like I've been trapped in an insane assylum. I am so SICK AND TIRED!

What can I do? Please reserve any negative judgement...I already feel like a failure. I really need to know what to do so that they aren't traumatized for life.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:34 PM on Feb. 2, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• You are NOT a failure. You need a night out SANS kids, pronto!!!
    cerealmom2

Answer by cerealmom2 at 4:36 PM on Feb. 2, 2011

• DRINK!!! LOL!~
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 4:37 PM on Feb. 2, 2011

• Talk tot their doctor. Might be something bothering them.
    MLM0503

Answer by MLM0503 at 4:40 PM on Feb. 2, 2011

• I would walk out of the house into the back yard and scream at the top of my lungs, then count to 10. It is never easy and when you have cabin fever, sickness and everyone is tired it makes matters worse. Have you tried putting on a movie or a TV show and seeing if they will sit and you can lay down on the couch.

Sometimes I would put the radio on and let the kids run around and dance while i sat on the floor with a drink and I would cry. I know sounds crazy, but for me it worked. You are not a failure and we all have our braking points. I would also look into play groups and contact the local high school. They might have an honor student that will babysit even if it is for an hour so you can get out. If you do this I would have her come to the house and visit while you are home so the kids can get used to her.

Good LUck and take a deep breath!
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 4:42 PM on Feb. 2, 2011

• I like to go for a drive and turn up the radio -- usually chills my child out as well.
    BaileysMom476

Answer by BaileysMom476 at 4:49 PM on Feb. 2, 2011

• I wish I could help, as I love to babysit..lol. I can only imagine how you must feel especially not feeling well yourself. I would suggest try getting them sit down watch a movie or cartoons if they will. Do they play with any toys? Like building blocks. The internet is another idea sesame street has a wonderful website for them to play on but of course you would have to be there with them. PBS sprout is another website. There are free printables that you can print off for them to color. I hope some of these ideas will help. Hope you guys all feel better.
    Kellyjude1

Answer by Kellyjude1 at 6:20 PM on Feb. 2, 2011

• Don't feel like a failure, and don't worry about traumatizing them, you won't!

I agree with PP about screaming your lungs out, where the kids can't hear you. I've done it -- we were trying to get out of the house, but it was the usual chaos. I finally got them strapped in their car seats and came back into the house for the diaper bag, and just let the scream out. I felt like I could get in the car and drive safely after that.

Good luck and I hope everyone gets well and happy soon!!
    RedRowan

Answer by RedRowan at 9:22 PM on Feb. 2, 2011

• well of course always walk away with your children in a safe place if you feel serious mad.

you could try putting them in the car and tuning them out, but don't drive if you feel they would anger you more.

my son is 3.5 and when he pushes my buttons all the way, i just walk away. i take a nice long shower and I trust him enough to behave while i'm doing so.
    john2007

Answer by john2007 at 9:35 PM on Feb. 2, 2011

• Once there sleep, have some "YOU" time! You deserve it! Soak in the tub, read a good book, whatever is your thing. Sometimes a bathroom break is the only chance to regain your sanity! No matter how short the time period, get a mental escape! And stay Prayed Up! Call on God for strength. He is the only thing that stands between being a Super Mom and being Andrea Yates. Pray over your children and speak OBEDIENCE into their lives. Pray for your PEACE and SANITY!
    Proverbs_31

Answer by Proverbs_31 at 10:35 PM on Feb. 2, 2011

• When I get like that I stick them someplace safe where they can't get out (meaning, her room with a gate... and ds in his crib...not like... a cage...), light a candle, and take a hot bath or shower. Not for long if they are crying, but just long enough to drown them out for five minutes while I clear my head. Sometimes I grab the phone and stand outside on my porch for a few minutes instead. And yes, if it is just one of those days... I rely on Dora, Diego, Max, Ruby, and Big Bird as much as I need to. I'm sure that's not good if it were every day, but it's better than losing my cool with them. Oh, and don't tell anyone...but if I am REALLY just a few strokes short of loopy town... I give dd candy to make her behave. I don't think it'll ruin them unless you start doing it all the time. :-)
    ErinHill226

Answer by ErinHill226 at 10:37 PM on Feb. 2, 2011