When debating an issue are you able to see others points of view even if you don't agree??

When your having a discussion or debate- about anything- do you try to see where the other side is coming from or are you more wrapped up in proving your point??

skittles1108

Asked by skittles1108 at 4:37 PM on Feb. 2, 2011 in About CafeMom

• I can see other points of view...I like to..it is how I learn and grasp new concepts and ideas I might not have thought about myself. Even if someone doesn't offer me anything new, I can still learn a lot from them.
    keyaziz

Answer by keyaziz at 4:42 PM on Feb. 2, 2011

• Depends on how the other side presents their side. Generally if it is said respectfully and supported with facts, then YES I can see the other side's point.

If the opposing side is shouted at me with rudeness and snide comments, then I find it hard to feel anything but disdain for their argument.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 4:40 PM on Feb. 2, 2011

• I try to see their point of view on most issues. Most on some I stay with my point of view but I won't auger about it till my fingers (get it, he he) are blue
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 4:39 PM on Feb. 2, 2011

• argue*
    mommy_of_two388

• If others' points are well-stated, then I have a better idea of where they're coming from.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 4:49 PM on Feb. 2, 2011

• I can often see the other side of issues. Even if my overall opinion doesn't change, sometimes if I can better understand the other side's concerns and main points if it's truly a debate or sharing of ideas. In P&CE, I do tend to stick to my own viewpoints or sometimes I'm on the fence on an issue and want hear arguments from both sides.

In the RD section, I often debate points that I don't even personally believe, just for the sake of debate. I usually clarify whether I'm sharing my own personal views and whether I'm just debating interpretations of text or perspectives that aren't necessarily my own.
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 4:50 PM on Feb. 2, 2011

• Sure, assuming the other side has a point. Things like
    "Their whole existence is to repeal the HCB, they don't care about jobs or the people." (in spite of being presented with an avalanche of evidence to the contrary)
    or
    "never heard of him" (in a question about the "him" mentioned)
    or
    "Shouldn't you be more worried about what goes on in your own home? " (in any type of parenting debate)

are not debates, they are generalized opinions, usually with little or nothing to do with the actual question. Someone who can say "I think x,y,z, and here's a link to the sources that back up the facts upon which I base that opinion" gets all the consideration in the world. On the other hand, someone who can't show up with anything better than "I'm right because I said so and anyone who disagreed is a big doodyhead" isn't interested in a debate to begin with, and they don't care if you acknowledge their opinion or not.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 5:40 PM on Feb. 2, 2011

• Yes, I actually think my ability to truly understand why the "other side" feels the way it does is exceptional. I still may disagree like hell, but I do get it in a way that I think most people don't.
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 5:42 PM on Feb. 2, 2011

• I wish more people would.
    Anonymous

• I try to, but I am not always succesful. Sometimes I can't understand why people feel a certain way and then I will say that.
    MooNFaeRie30

Answer by MooNFaeRie30 at 7:13 PM on Feb. 2, 2011