How Can I Tell the Difference between Braxton Hicks and the Real Thing?

I am 35 weeks pregnant and cramping pretty badly :(

LiveBreatheSing

Asked by LiveBreatheSing at 4:37 PM on Feb. 2, 2011 in Pregnancy

• BH will stop with resting and/or water. sometimes dehyrdation can bring on BH contractions. if they are real, they will continue even with rest, and have somewhat of a pattern.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 4:41 PM on Feb. 2, 2011

• I agree with the above post :-)
    4bridges

Answer by 4bridges at 4:44 PM on Feb. 2, 2011

• i agree with the above post, but i would like to add that my doctor told me BH usually is a pain in just one spot, when you have the real deal it will hurt all over your tummy.
    bjaishot92

Answer by bjaishot92 at 6:18 PM on Feb. 2, 2011

• BH come at irregular intervals, last for short a time and should not be painful but can be. If you are feeling contraction regular or not, you should drink a glass of water and lay on your left side for 30 min to 1 hr. The BH will stop or decrease in frequency. Real labor or pre-term labor will not stop with resting, last for 1.5 mins and come at consistent intervals (10 min apart) and become closer together. Preterm labor can come with our with out pressure or pain.

If at any time you feel concerned you should call or go in to OB to get monitored. at 35 - 36 weeks I was put on meds to stop my preterm labor.

Good luck!!!
    ChristyW3

Answer by ChristyW3 at 10:01 PM on Feb. 2, 2011