help with my 1 year old son!!!

My son just turned 1 on the 20th of January. He is a smart lil boy and I have always been told he is advanced for his age. He walked at 9 months. He can say around ten words. He knows what no means but has started to throw fits. The reason i know he knows what no means is because he can walk up to the tv and turn and look at me and smile before he messes the tv up. When I go to move him away from the tv he laughs and runs away. Just the last two days when he doesnt get what he wants. He will cry and stomp his feet. When i try to move him away from the problem he throws his self to the ground and kicks his feet. I need help. Is he to young to discipline and if not what methods work with kids his age? I dont want to raise a brat but I dont want to be seen as a mean mother. Help!

monroehalf09

Asked by monroehalf09 at 4:54 PM on Feb. 2, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• If he is old enough to throw a fit, he is old enough to discipline. Explain to him that he is having a time out because of his behavior. Put him in a playpen where he can not get out and where you can see him but he is away from the situation. Leave him there for a minute and when you get him out, explain that he is not to throw a fit and not listen, when mommy tells him no. Good luck
    parajumper3

Answer by parajumper3 at 4:57 PM on Feb. 2, 2011

• He also bites really bad. He has hurt numerous family members and Im scared he is going to break through the skin someday.
    monroehalf09

Comment by monroehalf09 (original poster) at 4:58 PM on Feb. 2, 2011

• If he's biting cuz he's teething there are remedies for that. But If you notice he's biting to get a reaction then its your job to let him know that's not acceptable. You can spank or do time outs whatever your parenting style is.
    mamatel

Answer by mamatel at 6:58 PM on Feb. 2, 2011

• He is a normal toddler, testing the rules, seeing what he can get away with. Time outs never worked with my kids, they just didn't care if they sat there all day! I found that limiting the temptation to do wrong (removing what you can from his reach) made my life easier. For the TV, I found a plastic thing that covered the buttons so he couldn't touch them. Distraction worked well for me too.

When they get into a "game" at that age (laughing when you come to get them from the TV) you need to break the habit. They think it's fun, so they keep doing it. If he needs to go into a play pen so the "game" isn't fun anymore, then put him in the playpen. Let him know that every time he touches the TV, he goes into the playpen. You need to set aside some time to do this -- a morning or a day, whatever it takes. The more often you do it, the sooner he learns. Don't get aggravated, be patient and calm. GL
    RedRowan

Answer by RedRowan at 8:55 PM on Feb. 2, 2011

• welcome to toddlers. you can try putting him in a crib and closing the door until he quiets down for time out.
    kittymeri

Answer by kittymeri at 9:11 PM on Feb. 2, 2011

• I'm going through the same thing!! GL!! I just don't give in and I'm hoping she will grow out of it with age. I know its hard but the only ting that seems to help is ignoring her and tellling her "No" a LOT!!
    Anon344

Answer by Anon344 at 9:44 PM on Feb. 2, 2011

• Remove your child from the area they were playing and take away the toy etc. let your child know it is not going to kick or hit mommy when you are upset, please use your words or big boy voice etc.. if they are kicking bitting etc make sure there isnt anything around to get hurt i would not use the playpen or crib if that is where they nap or sleep becuz they will think everytime they are in there they are in trouble/time out. and will not want to go to sleep. Maybe have a time out chair or just remove the child to another area. If you say No to something one time stick to it.. It will pass in a few days.
    angelkcm2

Answer by angelkcm2 at 10:04 PM on Feb. 2, 2011

• if my husband or i says it loud enough the little one usually gets the point. i also take her into a different room and play with her toys with her so she'll forget about it.
    RyleesMama09

Answer by RyleesMama09 at 2:55 AM on Feb. 7, 2011