I can't take this... WTF am I supposed to do??? Partial vent PLEASE HELP

Let me lay the foundation. Dh is out of work. Last day to pay rent on time was today... so yes we'll be late. Out home and internet and cable have been disconnected. I'm on my neighbors computer. Light bill was 250 dollars and we couldnt afford a dollar of that. Just got the disconnection notice in the mail this afternoon. Everything electronic is either in the pawn shop close to being lost or we've sold it already. I don't have my ring anymore and neither does dh. Tried to apply for emergency foodstamps... some freaking how we did not meet the criteria. Not low income ENOUGH?! Any money we HAD we used to take care of the kids and make sure there is food in the house, although the only food we could keep in the house is water and noodles and wieners and we're just about out of those. God help me now i'm crying.

Anyway the company dh worked for are a bunch of dicks. They do not allow you to get a faxed copy of your w2. Have to wait to get it in the mail and they always, always wait until the 31st to get it out. Then it takes a week for it to get to us. Our landlord (we've been here for 6 years and never missed a payment. Never late) will NOT work with us. She said come the 5th they will be filing for eviction. We have NO place to go. We have both been looking for work. Nothing. Dh is supposed to be going to a labor hall a friend told him about tomorrow. Another friend of his told him to get a loan against our car. But of we lose that we are really lost.

Out families can't help we're all doing bad right now. We don't want the kids to be homeless are hungry. Dh and I have talked about seeing if we can give them up temporarily. This breaks my heart into so many pieces. My babies are my life but if we cannot keep a roof over their heads and food in their bellies what do we do? Our families said they can't take them and we understand that.

What would you all do? I think i'm just going to curl up and cry myself to sleep later. I'm scared and I wish I knew what was going to happen.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:57 PM on Feb. 2, 2011 in Money & Work

• do whatever you have to do to keep you children, take out the title loan on your car until taxes get a little camper with taxes then pay off the title loan live in the camper tell you can save up and get a cheaper place, my husband and i lost our house 2 years ago lost our cars lost everything but never did we think about giving the state our children we did whatever it took there are plenty of resources out there you don't need to give them temp custody of the kids, ask churches for help.

Mrs.Prine

Answer by Mrs.Prine at 1:30 PM on Feb. 3, 2011

• There are so many organizations out there to help people in your situation. (Believe me, you are not alone! Sad but true) The United Way is one resource for help w/ utilities & other help. Your local churches can offer free meals. I hope that helps. Now go ahead & curl up & take that nap- some rest can get you new perspective on things. GL *Hugs*
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 5:06 PM on Feb. 2, 2011

• Check your state's Tenant Landlord Act online. Sometimes after eviction notice is given you still get 30 days (more if you have kids). Each state is different so just check it out. Don't panic though. Just keep calling agencies and asking questions. The landlord is an idiot thinking in this economy she can get the money from another family if you leave not to mention she has to give you your deposit back.

Answer by admckenzie at 5:10 PM on Feb. 2, 2011

• Social services will help with the electric bill up to $600 every 6 mths. You probably do make enough for that. They also help with rent payments. As does the Salvation Army. Many churches also help. If your dh is getting his W2 mailed the 31st its in the mail now. Itll probably be here by tomorrow or the next day. Take it to Jackson Hewitt and ask for a rapid loan on it if you have to.
    Even if you landlord files for eviction on the 5th, they still have to serve you and take you to court. This process takes atleast 2-3 weeks. Usually if you have the money by the time court rolls around you can pay the landlord and the case is dropped. I would go to social services and ask them to help with the light bill, and then wait on court for the rent. You will be alright.

Answer by gemgem at 5:13 PM on Feb. 2, 2011

• There is a lot of help out there. When you applied for food stamps, were you assigned a caseworker? Can you call that person for advice? Look into other service agencies. Most power companies have a fund for helping low-income families pay bills. Call and ask them about it. As mrsmom said, call the United Way. The Salvation Army. All of your local agencies. They will all want your family to stay together.
    evwsquared

Answer by evwsquared at 5:10 PM on Feb. 2, 2011

• whats the point of kicking someone when they are already down. if you dont have anything to say that will help this person dont say shit. I never got the impression she was looking for someone to take care of her but looking for help. have you never needed a hand? Have you never went through hard times? Are you always on top? if so lucky you.
    Sky_Mom

Answer by Sky_Mom at 6:36 PM on Feb. 2, 2011

• Oh, and, following on what admckenzie said, check to see what the laws in your state are about getting interest in your deposit. When I've rented before, it was state law that I receive interest every year on the deposit and last month's rent that my landlord held.
    evwsquared

Answer by evwsquared at 5:12 PM on Feb. 2, 2011

• definitely go to the food pantry, i guarantee there is one close enough to you. i would reapply for foodstamps bc maybe there was something that you missed or they missed. go to your local help center. ours here is called necac, i know it's hard to get in but try and let them know your situation. stop paying bills that are not important, cell phones, credit cards, things that you can get caught back up on later when you have the money to do so. stop driving your car if you can't afford the gas. eviction takes awhile to go through so you probably have AT LEAST 30 days. GL through this
    angevil53

Answer by angevil53 at 5:15 PM on Feb. 2, 2011

• Your landlord will have a heck of a time evicting you in the winter with kids. It is not a quick process. Can take months. Check your local chuch as I'm sure they have a food pantry. Not sure why you didn't qualify for any assistance. You have to bring lots of proof and documents. Check on line to see what you need and go in person and speak ot a manager.

Good luck.
    DeeMomOfFour

Answer by DeeMomOfFour at 7:43 PM on Feb. 2, 2011

• Call 2-1-1. It's kind of like 411 or 911, but it is a free number that is designed to connect you to local resources for anyhing you could possibly want. If you need help paying rent, they will connect you to (or give you the number for) places that can help you with your rent. If you need food, they will connect you with places that can give you food. It's kind of like a one-stop shop for all your needs and resources. It's a free call from any phone pretty much in the country.
    SherriPie

Answer by SherriPie at 7:52 PM on Feb. 2, 2011