Why are my ferns dying?

I have three boston ferns hanging on my front porch. They don't get any direct sunlight except for an hour-2 hours at the end of the day. I water them about twice a week, more if it is really hot, and I give them plant food once every 2 weeks. And they still look terrible. They don't have the same bright green color as when I bought them, they leaves are drooping and turning brown.

fallenleaves

Asked by fallenleaves at 10:27 AM on Jun. 19, 2008 in Home & Garden

• a cup of water everyday should do the trick. Also they may be pot bound. Pick up the plant out of the pot if you can see roots all around the edge of the dirt then it needs to be split into two pots that size or put into a bigger pot.
    TRyan

Answer by TRyan at 10:56 AM on Jun. 19, 2008

• Hey, the most beautiful ferns I have ever seen were planted in the ground, not in hanging baskets. They were in my grandmother's back yard, and they were monsterously huge.

Sure, they look great hanging there, and I've tried to keep some alive in pots myself, but it never seems to work out, they always die. I live in North Carolina and it seems everyone has hanging ferns out on thier porches in the early spring, but by the beginning of June, they are all gone, replaced with hardier basket type flowers.
    crazycereal

Answer by crazycereal at 11:59 AM on Jun. 19, 2008

• Agree with crazycereal...ferns simply don't do well in baskets. Also, it sounds to me like you could be overfeeding them (plant food)
    DancerMomof2

Answer by DancerMomof2 at 2:03 PM on Jun. 21, 2008