If my adoption records are sealed from a closed adoption, is safe to assume my bio mom doesn't want to be found?

Penguin88

Asked by Penguin88 at 5:07 PM on Feb. 2, 2011 in Adoption

• No ,the records for me and my son are sealed and closed.It was handled that way.Not my choice, I am registered everywhere, searching and would very happily welcome contact any time..

drfink

Answer by drfink at 5:54 PM on Feb. 2, 2011

• No, So many things change.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 5:08 PM on Feb. 2, 2011

• Mine were sealed we called the state and they told us one of three things one they are locked up two they died or three you were taken. The list could be bigger now Just call the local adoption office.
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 5:09 PM on Feb. 2, 2011

• I'd search for her, I am sure you have many questions for her to answer.
    mrsboomtastic

Answer by mrsboomtastic at 5:10 PM on Feb. 2, 2011

• No. In some states it was the law. Search for her but realize there is always the possibility she's not going to be as excited as you might be in a reunion.

Answer by admckenzie at 5:12 PM on Feb. 2, 2011

• Not really. It means at the time of the adoption a closed adoption was wanted . Many states have enacted Central Adoption Registries. These are places where those who put children up for adoption..and those children who were adopted can register. They put as much known info as they have in a database. If someone else registers who seems to 'match' that info both parties are notified and given the opportunity to correspond with the other party.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 5:13 PM on Feb. 2, 2011

• No, it is not safe to assume that. Adoption records are sealed by law in most states. A mother has no choice in the matter. In most states, a mother is never asked if she wants contact later. It does NOT mean at the time of an adoption a closed adoption was wanted if the records are sealed. Records are now sealed even when there is an open adoption, by law.

My son's records were sealed because there was no other adoption option when he was born. But, sealed records were never my choice, or my desire. He found me through the confidential intermediary program in the state where his adoption took place, and I was thrilled to be found.

Southernroots

Answer by Southernroots at 5:44 PM on Feb. 2, 2011

• no absolutely not.
    onethentwins

Answer by onethentwins at 6:11 PM on Feb. 2, 2011