Hand-made items

Do you prefer store bought or things that are hand made? Do you craft anything yourself? Has your child been given anything hand made (toys, clothes etc)?

MamaWolf1981

Asked by MamaWolf1981 at 5:17 PM on Feb. 2, 2011 in Hobbies & Crafts

• I prefer bought items
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 5:18 PM on Feb. 2, 2011

• i like making things but i usually prefer to get myself store bought
    Mrs.L.Mita

Answer by Mrs.L.Mita at 5:23 PM on Feb. 2, 2011

• Depends on the item. I love handmade jewelry, pottery, and woodcrafts. Would I want a handmade contact lens case? —probably not. Nor do I want cozies of any kind, or things to hide toilet paper from view.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 5:41 PM on Feb. 2, 2011

• As a child I hated getting home made things even though my mother was a brilliant seamstress and knitter. I tried to give of myself to my children by making them all sorts of things, including building each one a pedal car. Now I am much older and I have tried to make every person an individual birthday and Christmas gift. And more. What an unappreciated waste that was!! Now I only make things for people who understand what it is all about. My own home is filled with things I have made and they give me daily joy. I also have many items my mother and grandmother made and I treasure these. I also keep around the house things my children made at school. I feel a blanket of love just by looking at what their hands touched.
    MLM247

Answer by MLM247 at 7:06 PM on Feb. 2, 2011

• I like handmade things, as long as they are within my taste. I'm not a person that treasures something just because it is handmade. I received several hand made baby blankets when my boys were born. The craftsmanship was wonderful, but is was impractical to use a fragile crocheted baby blanket on babies that are just going to throw up on them, and since the crochet was an "open" crochet, they didn't wash well. My mom made my boys fleece blankets a few months ago. The boys love them, but they are ugly, and don't match our decor at all. Since the boys love them, I tolerate them, but it really bothers me that those two things don't "go" with anything in their room.

That said, I have purchased some handmade jewelery that I adore. I love it, and having it handmade is just a bonus.
    twin_mommy

Answer by twin_mommy at 8:48 PM on Feb. 2, 2011

• MLM - In my opinion, it was wrong of you to expect someone to love something just because you made it.
    twin_mommy

Answer by twin_mommy at 8:51 PM on Feb. 2, 2011

• I prefer really cool, different handmade things. I like to crochet alot and giving gifts I've put my time and heart into means alot to me. I crocheted my SD a giant, 3 ft. long snake stuffed animal. It's her favorite bedtime accessory next to her blankie.
    Sparklecoon

Answer by Sparklecoon at 9:42 PM on Feb. 2, 2011

• WE DO EVERYTHING BUY MADE BY HAND A LOT OF STUFF.
    GlitteribonMom

Answer by GlitteribonMom at 5:28 AM on Feb. 3, 2011

• I prefer a lottle bit of both. I don't having any kids yet
    bunbun8201

Answer by bunbun8201 at 9:44 AM on Feb. 3, 2011

• I absolutely love things people make, especially if the look kinda awkward....it gives them character. :)
    TwilightMack

Answer by TwilightMack at 11:23 AM on Feb. 3, 2011