For those with Girls

Is your daughter a girly girl? Dresses and shopping and the like? Are you a girly girl? If not how do you deal with your daughter?

My daugher is 16 months and into shoes, jewlery, purses, and all the other girl stuff. I am not and never have been.

MamaWolf1981

Asked by MamaWolf1981 at 5:18 PM on Feb. 2, 2011 in General Parenting

• My daughter was very girly when she was young. She is 14 now and not at all like that. They just go through stages. It isn't difficult to indulge the girly phase. They stuff they like is everywhere.
    Marwill

Answer by Marwill at 5:20 PM on Feb. 2, 2011

• Mine is a very girl girl and no I am not.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 5:21 PM on Feb. 2, 2011

• I am a girly girl and I have two dds. One is 22 and one is 5 yrs old. My oldest has always been a girly girl, too much so I think some times and now she obviously still is. We have different styles though, shes obviously younger then I am so she leans to clothes and things I might not choose. My 5 yr old is a girly girl too but much more conservative in her style then her sister. Shes into the big bows, pink dresses, and doesnt like short skirts or bikinis lol.
    I just go with the flow and always have. All of my kids (I have 5) are different. They have different tastes and styles and I have always just tried to guide them to things I found appropriate for them without taking away from their personal styles.

Answer by gemgem at 5:21 PM on Feb. 2, 2011

• My daughter is to young to be any kind of girl yet. But my son is a "girly boy" if you will. He has all the shoes and dresses and purses and makeup any girl would have. Personally I love it. I'm very much a girly girl. His father isn't so much of a fan. But he still supports his son's interests and even lets him dress daddy up... Even if you aren't that kind of girl it's important that you support who your child is. When it comes to things like shoes and clothes, get her opinion on outfits for you and her... And make a point to do what she wants to do from time to time, even if it drives you crazy.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 5:22 PM on Feb. 2, 2011

• my middle daughter (2) definitely is! she's loved shoes since she was old enough to crawl and reach for them. now she's always prancing around in dress up clothes :) and wearing little purses and absolutely hates getting her hands dirty.

im not so much a girly girl myself. but i love that she is :) its so cute! the other night she was dancing around the living room in nothing but heels and a t-shirt and i thought to myself "she's such a GIRL!" lol i have a feeling i might need to open another bank account to support her shoe habit someday ;)
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 5:22 PM on Feb. 2, 2011

• imine is very girly but a total tomboy at times. i'm more tomboyish but i love pretty things even thoughi dont like them for myself. i learned to appreciate them for her sake lol.
    Mrs.L.Mita

Answer by Mrs.L.Mita at 5:29 PM on Feb. 2, 2011

• My daughter is a year old and not into anything girly. She'd rather play with her brothers toys. Infact when I first introduced a baby doll to her she smacked it on the head and poked it in the eye. She'll pick it up by the foot every so often only to throw it down. She'd rather play with the trucks and trains that her brother plays with.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 7:09 PM on Feb. 2, 2011

• My 9yo was such a tomboy as a toddler, but now she wakes up at 5am to do her hair in the morning for school. She straightens it, or puts gel in it. She has to be sure it is styled and has to put her cute hair things in her hair. My 11mo loves shoes and purses. I am no a girly girl. I don't put on make up. I don't fuss over myself in the mirror everyday. I just brush and go. I have NO idea where my girls get it from!!
    summerbear

Answer by summerbear at 8:40 PM on Feb. 2, 2011

• My SD is the best of both worlds. She nearly four and she'll go from wearing pretty sun dresses to jeans and a t-shirt. She does love pink and purple but I would never say she's a girly-girl or a Tom boy.

She really doesn't like having her hair done though.
    Sparklecoon

Answer by Sparklecoon at 9:40 PM on Feb. 2, 2011

• I'm not a girly girl, but I'm not a tomboy, either. My daughter is 17 months and pretty much like me. I don't really see how she would be a girly girl unless I bought her girly girl stuff, though.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 9:53 PM on Feb. 2, 2011