how do I send a book to an inmate

I have a relative in prison and would like to send that person a book...can I just go to the bookstore and they send the book out to the prison?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:39 PM on Feb. 2, 2011 in Shopping

• I am in a prison ministry and every prison is different but you cannot generally send them in- order it from the store/site then it will be checked and should be accepted (I guess make sure it's on the list too)
    txdaniella

Answer by txdaniella at 9:23 PM on Feb. 2, 2011

• Yes, some stores will do this but you can do it if they don't.

Answer by older at 5:40 PM on Feb. 2, 2011

• I think you need to ask what books are allowed. Otherwise you would just send it to them like a package.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 5:41 PM on Feb. 2, 2011

• I used to work at a prison -- They will not allow books about sex, gangs, drugs, crime -- So be sure it is on the "accepted" list. You also can not send books with the wire-type binders -- or one's that look as though the binder has been taken apart and then replaced, or is loose. It also can not have any type sticker's on it (like maybe a price tag) -- People have been known to put drops of LSD on to the sticky part of stickers. They also have been known to hide things (money/drugs) inside the binder part.
    BaileysMom476

Answer by BaileysMom476 at 9:16 PM on Feb. 2, 2011