Why do I at times feel like I have pulled a muscle in my stomach?

I have noticed this when I am in the bed and reach for the phone or something and it feels like I have pulled a muscle. I didn't do this before pregnancy! is this normal?

saysmom

Asked by saysmom at 5:39 PM on Feb. 2, 2011 in Pregnancy

• wish i could help but i get this too sometimes. no idea what it is and my son is 7 1/2 months old already
    Mrs.L.Mita

Answer by Mrs.L.Mita at 5:42 PM on Feb. 2, 2011

• it might just be the baby trying to stretch you out cuz he's a wee bit cramped, i get that feeling sometimes too, does it pass (because if it does after a few seconds its probably just the baby stretching), or is it a constant nagging pain, if it is constant then maybe you should talk to your doctor at your next apt just to be safe. Another way to tell if its just the baby stretching is if you notice a kind of bulge where the pain is, its just him or her getting comfortable. This is more common in the first pregnancy and smaller women i've been told because out uterus is smaller than that of a mommy who's had previous babies, and if your a petite woman you have less room for a baby to grow.
    bjaishot92

Answer by bjaishot92 at 5:47 PM on Feb. 2, 2011

• also try to keep in mind our muscles, joints, and other ligaments become more loose and fragile while we're pregnant so take care to be gentle with your body and take extra precautions in the winter!
    bjaishot92

Answer by bjaishot92 at 5:55 PM on Feb. 2, 2011

• During pregnancy (though it can happen other times) the muscles do become weaker as the weight of the fluid and baby grow. As well dehydration can cause your muscles to weaken and cause you to "pull" them frequently.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 7:04 PM on Feb. 2, 2011

• I am experiencing the same thing. I notice them to be like spasms or like a charleyhorse. I talked to my dr about them and he told me to take 2 tums a day. I also switched to a prenatal vitamin that contains potassium since I don't like bananas.

I notice that on the days that I forget to take my vitamins and/or my Tums they tend to be worse. The combination of the two have helped me out a lot. The spasms are caused by the increase in uterine growth causing strain on the muscles.

Good Luck!!
    ChristyW3

Answer by ChristyW3 at 9:26 PM on Feb. 2, 2011