Is it something more?

my 5 month old son spits up constantly...40-50x a day. I've done all the usual thing..he's breastfed so I altered my diet, tried meds, massage, extensive burping. But i think his latch is just poor and my milk comes out so fast that he gulps air. plus now I've introduced solids and I'm covered in colored vomit now. GAG! should I switch to the bottle? do you think all this vomiting is affecting his growth (he's a lot smaller than my other 2)? is this a medical problem I might be missing?
yes I've asked the ped 100 times and they are useless. anyone have a child like this?

MissV_66

Asked by MissV_66 at 5:43 PM on Feb. 2, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• You can try the bottle. It may help. If your ped doctor is not listening to you, time to get a second opinion or another ped doctor. I would just get another ped doctor. I would ask him what are you here for then?
    sta517

Answer by sta517 at 5:49 PM on Feb. 2, 2011

• If he's throwing up the solid food, too, why would you think that it has anything to do with breastfeeding? Babies take in much more air when they are bottle-fed. To me, the fact that he throws up after eating his solid food points me away from thinking that it's his latch. Besides, if his latch was wrong, your nipples would know! You'd be in pain! Are there different doctors that you can see? Can you demand a referral to a pediatric gastroenterologist (one who specializes in the digestive system)?
    evwsquared

Answer by evwsquared at 5:51 PM on Feb. 2, 2011

• I thought it had to be latch because he's always burping in between the times when he's spitting up. But I have no problems with my nipples at all so it can't be latch right? I am just so paranoid that he's not getting enough nutrition if he's CONSTANTLY puking. I should try to find an gastroenterologist. I live in a small town so the closest is 2 hrs from here, but may be worth it.
    MissV_66

Comment by MissV_66 (original poster) at 6:00 PM on Feb. 2, 2011

• if u try a bottle the dr brown bottles are great!! they made a world of difference for my dd!! i exclusively pump and my dd had a lot of trouble nursing so i switched to pumping! if it was a latch problem u would know! i would call a LC to see if its something to do with the breast feeding!! goodluck!
    Caroline2010

Answer by Caroline2010 at 6:33 PM on Feb. 2, 2011

• my son was a serious vomiter too (if thats even a word!) he would projectile vomit at me all the time..turns out he had a milk protein intolerance and reflux. Does the vomiting bother him? is he uncomfortable? and is he hungry again after he vomits? they say that the spit up is never really as much as we think, its mostly saliva.
    dmdemes

Answer by dmdemes at 6:36 PM on Feb. 2, 2011

• he might have Gerd. A friend's son has it and spits up more then just acid reflux. Its a med. prob. to sum it up simply its when a child spits up even more then with acid reflux and had a hard time digesting solids. I would goggle it and see if the symptoms match up and talk with ped. if you say they are worthless then why not find another ped. ? You need to feel comfortable with them. GL
    Nienna7477

Answer by Nienna7477 at 9:58 PM on Feb. 2, 2011

• Maybe overactive letdown. Check this out http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/fast-letdown.html
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 10:02 PM on Feb. 2, 2011

• wow that's crazy...have you tried pumping for 5 minutes before he latches on? Might help slow the letdown. Also if you're using bottles, make sure the nipples are level 1 so the milk doesn't come out too fast and always burp halfway through feedings whether its from the breast or bottle. Good luck!
    EminBC

Answer by EminBC at 12:08 AM on Feb. 3, 2011

• I would hold off on solids for a month

Answer by rkoloms at 6:16 AM on Feb. 3, 2011

• I agree that overactive letdown MIGHT be the culprit. Possibly reflux. What does the doc think?
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 10:16 AM on Feb. 3, 2011