who has generalized anxiety disorder?

what symptoms do you have? how do you cope? i instantly worry about things/people . my sleep isn't normal because that's the most times i think about everything . my brian spins like a record player and doesn't stop. when i do sleep i have tons of strange dreams, some nightmares. had to go off zoloft b/c i became worse. now on second week of celexa.

diamondsarecool

Asked by diamondsarecool at 5:59 PM on Feb. 2, 2011 in Health

• I used to have to be on xanax and zoloft, but I hated the way those things numbed ALL of my emotions. Now, I take yoga classes, I have practiced talking myself up, I listen to alot of music... you will always find me with my ipod. I force myself to do things that I normally wouldnt because of social anxiety, and I have learned that its really not so bad. The people close to me know what its like, so they dont push me unless they feel it is very important, and I trust their judgment. Sleeping is still an issue, I have not yet learned how to shut my brain off. When I worry about something, I try to recognize it, and then think of the same situation going totally perfectly with every step, and having the outcome I want it to. It has done wonders. I am on NO meds, except a benadryl every now again to help me sleep.
    Tarrar

Answer by Tarrar at 6:04 PM on Feb. 2, 2011

• I have it, and have had it for years. I have chronic insomnia because of it, and do tend to worry excessively about things when most people might not be bothered as much. I pay my bills months in advance, and have to have everything very structured. I dont need antidepressents anymore. I do take meds to help me sleep, and am taking another type of medication that has helped me with my anxiety. I also have a script for ativan but I rarely need it.

Answer by gemgem at 6:05 PM on Feb. 2, 2011

• i use to cry alot also. the things i worry about is for the best interest of other relatives but they don;t see it that way. when i;m honest then i get the blame game and silent treatment or blocked against their account. i try to work prob out but i just get shut out.
    diamondsarecool

Comment by diamondsarecool (original poster) at 6:10 PM on Feb. 2, 2011

• *raises hand* I keep myself EXTRA busy and redirect my thoughts (if it's a case of racing thoughts, which it often is for me)..I'm coping better these days than several months ago. It causes my insomnia, though, and triggers *TMI* IBS for me. Blecch. If I don't do something to distract myself from attacks, I'm in bad shape. I would rather not take meds, but I do have them if I need them.
    -AJ

Answer by -AJ at 6:22 PM on Feb. 2, 2011

• My husband has it, bad. It started out by him thinking these horrible things that could happen to our kids, like our house catching our fire and not being able to get to our son and he'd see in detail what was going on with our son while in the fire. (sad I know:() he is also so stressed, he can seem a little distant at time. He worries about money, when we never have to, he worries about work, his employees, . He is on effexor once a day, and xanex when he needs it, which is less often now. He was diagnosed in July and was put on meds. It's now under control, as long as he remembers to take his effexor. His sleep is still off, like he can stay up until 4 am, and wake up at 9 not being sleepy, but then he can go to sleep at 10 wake up at 11 and be sleepy all day. But he doesn't want to be put on more medication. My husband also finds it helpful to write in a journal. Whatever he is feeling, bad or good, he writes it in there.
    BabyBugsmama

Answer by BabyBugsmama at 6:26 PM on Feb. 2, 2011

• i try to keep busy. nap when i need to/ when able to. do hobbies,read, listen to music or turn on tv to have noise. whatever will distract me. i play with my pets. sometimes it helps sometimes not. try to keep myself conented as much as possible.hard for me to focus on positive things
    diamondsarecool

Comment by diamondsarecool (original poster) at 6:34 PM on Feb. 2, 2011

• Along with your medication, you should be in counseling to learn how to control the anxiety. I am to the point that I rarely need the Xanax I have because I learned through counseling how to control the symptoms. Some days, I do needs the meds and take them. Xanax does not numb my feelings but takes the edge off the anxiety so I can function.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:08 PM on Feb. 2, 2011

• I have been diagnosed with Anxiety after both of my child are born. I have something like babybugsmama's husband. Horrible thought go through my head all the time and I am in constant fear. I also have the racing thoughts that won't quit, and I can be very on edge with my husband. With my first child I had weird sensations like my heart was skipping a beat. I was put on Citalopram with my first child and weaned off after 6 months. After that I used redirecting and breathing techniques. I also have xanex for emergency days or plane rides. After the 2nd child (4 months) I started taking zoloft right away to curb any anxiety. I felt great for two months and when my insurance ran out I weaned off. Well it turns out the meds were working and when I went off I had a really scary couple of weeks. I am back on citalopram and I don't think the dosage is high enough, but I plan to be off meds again this spring.
    sunshine58103

Answer by sunshine58103 at 9:30 PM on Feb. 2, 2011

• it is comforting to know that I am not the only Mami that suffers from anxiety....It came to me all at once! I had a very bad mental breakdown due to a lot of changes that were happening at work..it started slowly but since i wast addressing it correctly, one day it all came to a head! I have been on leave from work since Oct 2010 - I honestly think that I wont be returning - I am taking cetalopram daily and another med for nights. I have some of the same symptoms: cant sleep at night (I have been known to scream loudly or jump or even type while sleeping) heart races, homicidal thoughts and everything else in between. As for now I need the meds daily, if not i cant function...some days are better and others, like some of u said - Some days it is like I am numb to EVERYTHING!!! I have started psychotherapy which is helping but the dctr has also given me a referral to see a psychiatrist - I guess only time will tell...?
    mia1alex

Answer by mia1alex at 8:16 PM on Feb. 19, 2011