Is this typical 6 year old behavior?

My six year old has been crying alot when he gets into trouble at school. He hasn't been fighting but the teacher said he's been mean to his classmates. My son had been telling me that the other kids started it and it's not his fault. His dad is always blaming other people for his problems. Could my son be getting this from his dad?

amotherof1

Asked by amotherof1 at 6:57 PM on Feb. 2, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Yes he could

Answer by admckenzie at 7:00 PM on Feb. 2, 2011

• I don't think it's typical. Perhaps he needs to learn accountability? And I mean that nicely. If he can take responsibility for his actions, he won't feel so badly and cry and blame it on others. It's an important tool to learn in life. Also, I know a child who does this and having worked in the classroom I know first hand he's the one making trouble. But he blames it on everyone else and goes so far as to call other little kids a bully. It's not okay. It won't be okay as he grows and I can tell you , other kids won't want to play with him or go to his birthday because of it. Again, just trying to keep it real so you can help him get on a better path. Talk to DH about it. Ultimately, he pays the price for it.
    Anonymous

• yes i would think so
    anonymouswriter

Answer by anonymouswriter at 7:01 PM on Feb. 2, 2011

• thats not typical normal behavior...you of course want to stand up for your kids but also dicipline them when they are wrong so you need to get to the root of the issue....
    hill2

Answer by hill2 at 7:07 PM on Feb. 2, 2011

• i would get him into counciling. theres something going on. it is not normal behavior for any age. well, maybe 2 or 3, but def not 6! good luck!
    mama2bof2

Answer by mama2bof2 at 10:17 PM on Feb. 2, 2011

• 6 yr olds do not act like this...find the school's counselor and ask them to talk to your child and maybe with a little help your child can reveal what is really going on
    wheresthewayout

Answer by wheresthewayout at 12:18 AM on Feb. 3, 2011

• Yes~ he could, sure.
    Does he live with his dad / see him frequently?
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 2:59 AM on Feb. 3, 2011

• I think you need to take him to a professional, you can start with your child's pediatrician. This is not a cycle or pattern you want him to learn and practice. There is an underlying issue for the anger and the tears or sensitivity. Please take him to see someone so he can form good friendships with his peers and be happy.
    spottedpony

Answer by spottedpony at 11:23 AM on Feb. 4, 2011

• NIP THIS IN THE BUD NOW!!! My ex was (and still is ) always blaming anyone else for his problems and our son got it from him. He is never responsible for aanything bad that happens, it's always someone elses fault. Do what you can to make him own his issues
    shivasgirl

Answer by shivasgirl at 2:25 AM on Feb. 7, 2011