Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How do I protect my step daughter from her marcissistic mother?

Answer Question

Asked by saraelizabeth9 at 7:52 PM on Feb. 2, 2011 in Kids' Health

Level 1 (2 Credits)
Answers (6)
  • This is VERY vague. Gonna need details to answer.

    Answer by worriedmommy600 at 7:55 PM on Feb. 2, 2011

  • Why do you consider her to be narcissistic?

    Answer by Simplicity3 at 7:55 PM on Feb. 2, 2011

  • how old is she?? depends on the state - look up your local laws - the kid has to go to court and say she doesnt want to live with her mom anymore... that is really the only way. you know it is usually the step mom that is evil.

    Answer by AmaliaD at 7:59 PM on Feb. 2, 2011

  • ok here is just an example of a situation...This last weekend my 7 year old step daughter's mother needed us to watch her for an extra day cause she was going to visit family. Of course we agreed, on Sunday she calls wanting to have the daughter come home then insted of the court ordered monday morning by 8pm. The daughter did not want to go a we were going to my mothers and they have a hot tub and she had plans of "swimming in the mini pool" From that point her mother called several times and when the daughter answered the phone her mother went on for over 2 mins saying how she could not imagine how her daughter would not want to come home with her after her husband was going to war and her brother missed her and that if she could have picked a different daddy for her she would have.

    These instances are occuring more often and i have research Narcissistic peronallity disorder and it is her mother to a T!!

    Comment by saraelizabeth9 (original poster) at 8:03 PM on Feb. 2, 2011

  • First, stop diagnosing other people. Just because she has the symptoms doesn't mean she has the disorder. Many disorders have the same symptoms. Second, as long as it is your husbands court ordered time, do NOT answer the phone. Document everything..dates, times, what is said. If your SD doesn't want to live with her mother, then your husband needs to contact an attorney to gain custody.

    Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:00 PM on Feb. 2, 2011

  • unfortunately there isnt much you can do unless you can prove the mother to be unfit, maybe as your husband to ask the courts for a possibilty in a pysch evalution because you and he have witnessed events that are unfit around the child? Say you just want to check it out, but arent on a war path to keep the daughter that way the judge can see you only want whats best but dont want to cause strife in the childs life by just randomly trying to keep her. good luck

    Answer by Bobbysgurl at 9:05 PM on Feb. 2, 2011

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.