If your DH had genetial herpes...

Keep in mind that it can be in the system for years before you realize you have it..

Anyway, he has just found out. You have been having unprotected sex for amost a year. You get tested and are negative for it. Will you start using protection or just go with it?

I ask because when you get married, it is supposed to be for life so if you get it, what will it hurt...it's not like you will give it to him.

What do you think?

Jademom07

Asked by Jademom07 at 7:55 PM on Feb. 2, 2011 in Health

• Plus you can't tell the future, heaven forbid anything ever happen to your husband, but life is fragile and what if he weren't around next year? Would you stay single til the day you die? I would try to protect myself from it, it would be hard, and may not work, but I would do what I could to try. Good luck.
    AshleyBDG

Answer by AshleyBDG at 8:18 PM on Feb. 2, 2011

• Yes I would use protection, because herpes is not fun to have! I dont' have it, but am studying OB and have had a lot of sections on STDs and it's kinda painful, not to mention embarrassing. So why carelessly let yourself get a disease that is incurable and hurts when you don't have to, and is unpleasant? Google some pictures and then say, hey, why not? No thanks!
    AshleyBDG

Answer by AshleyBDG at 8:16 PM on Feb. 2, 2011

• ummm. well. one of us gave it to the other in our marriage. If you want children, you cant really be "safe" all the time. There are maintenence medications that will lower your risk of transmission though.
    ArmyWifeAshlie

Answer by ArmyWifeAshlie at 7:57 PM on Feb. 2, 2011

• I say that is up to you and while it was negative you could still already have it. I have a friend who was with her kids father for 4 years they broke up but were still sleeping with each other from time to time. She had a baby and when their youngest son was 4y/o she found out she had herpes.She didn't know and doesn't know when she got it. I am saying this to say that only you know what is right for you. You have to think maybe i do or maybe I don't have it. What is the best choice for you and don't think of anyone else because they don't have to deal with it. An everyone's outbreaks are different. Do what is best for you.
    LADYA1983

Answer by LADYA1983 at 8:13 PM on Feb. 2, 2011