Is it ok for a 9yo to be in the delivery room?

She is a very bright girl. She has watched those shows like Birthday, and the other ones on Discovery Health that show the live births. I have told others about her desire to be in the room when I have this baby, my OB said it was fine and the hospital has sibling classes she can attend and she is not scared off by the sight of things like that. She herself wants to be an OB/GYN when she grows up.

summerbear

Asked by summerbear at 7:59 PM on Feb. 2, 2011 in General Parenting

• i wanted my 5 yr old in there with me. it would have been nice to share sissy's birth,. i think if youre are comfortable with your ds's maturity level and think she can handle it, then i say go for it! i think it will make her feel more involved.
    my ds wasn't in there only b/c we not sure if we were gonna have her that night, or wait a week, i called my mother to bring him up, but the time i got ahold of her, the patocin kicked in and it only took like 2 hours from the time i went in, to the time she popped out! and i didn't have time for the epidural, so i think it was best he didn't see mommy screaming! lol.
    but i say go for it if you think shes good for it. gl!
    mama2bof2

Answer by mama2bof2 at 8:03 AM on Feb. 3, 2011

• If the hospital and dr. are ok with it, let her!
    hippomom1919

Answer by hippomom1919 at 8:09 PM on Feb. 2, 2011

• Since the OB and everyone are ok with it, if you're ok with it I say let her in.
    Mrs.BAT

Answer by Mrs.BAT at 8:09 PM on Feb. 2, 2011

• I didn't even want to be in the delivery room when I had my kid!
    mommerbean

Answer by mommerbean at 8:32 PM on Feb. 2, 2011

• I wouldn't. Children don't have to know and see everything. Let them be children for as long as they can. Ignorance is bliss. I would spare her the drama, it may scar her for life.
    Anonymous

• I'd ask the doctor. It depends on the doctor and birth center policy.

Answer by admckenzie at 8:00 PM on Feb. 2, 2011

• What if something goes wrong in the delivery? How will your kid react to that?
    bcauseimthemom

Answer by bcauseimthemom at 8:08 PM on Feb. 2, 2011

• I don't know if I'd feel comfortable with it if it was my child personally. i think there is prolly a big difference between her watching shows where the mother is in labor.. and then her actually seeing her mother in labor, in pain, crying, prolly puking, begging for it to stop.. so on so forth. Theres a difference between what you see on tv and seeing someone you love go through it. It's hard enough on the father's to watch alot of times and they are adults and understand the situation completely. But if you think she can handle it, and you feel she is prepared for it, that's up to you.
    Kayere

Answer by Kayere at 8:13 PM on Feb. 2, 2011

• I am planning on an epidural again this time. For her I did not have one, but for my 11mo I did. So, the pain was not a factor for the last delivery.
    summerbear

Comment by summerbear (original poster) at 8:16 PM on Feb. 2, 2011

• I personally wouldn't allow my child in the delivery room. You know what your daughter is able to handle though.
    EverydayMomma

Answer by EverydayMomma at 8:18 PM on Feb. 2, 2011