If you quit smoking in the past, did you use anything (gum, patch, etc.)?

Just wondering. If not, did you just go cold turkey?

Mrs.BAT

Asked by Mrs.BAT at 8:45 PM on Feb. 2, 2011 in Health

• I used Chantix, within two weeks I was completely done, haven't touched a cigarette since.
    kitchenwitch78

Answer by kitchenwitch78 at 8:47 PM on Feb. 2, 2011

• This last time I went cold turkey, and it's been 7 years. I'd done the patch prior to that and quit for about a year and a half or so, then hit stress overload between sick and dying relatives and started up again. The worst thing for me was the gum - absolutely useless.

SIL did Chantix - worked for her going on 2 years now, but she had some pretty funky side effects along the way. DH is trying electronic cigarettes - so far so good.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 8:51 PM on Feb. 2, 2011

• I slowly cut back intil it became 0
    Patience909

Answer by Patience909 at 8:51 PM on Feb. 2, 2011

• Chantix. It was messed up though, gave me funky dreams like real off the wall stuff, and messed with my menstruation cycle.
    Nanixh

Answer by Nanixh at 9:10 PM on Feb. 2, 2011

• I quit both times I was pregnant by slowly cutting back to zero. I finally quit (hopefully for good!) a few years ago, not because I was pregnant but because I really, really wanted to. I used the mint-flavored lozenges and found them very helpful. My DH didn't like them as much as I did, but he still preferred them over the patch.
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 9:18 PM on Feb. 2, 2011

• dum dums!!!
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 9:19 PM on Feb. 2, 2011

• I just went cold turkey after a bad case of bronchitis. I also stopped saying I was TRYING to quit, because I just started back up again each time I thought about it that way (the whole 'trying is lying' thing). I just decided I was going to do it, and that was that. It was tough at first since I smoked for many years, but the first few days are the worst. I started doing a lot of yoga and went for walks instead of smoking--especially on work breaks. I basically tried to substitute good habits--or addictions ;-) for bad ones. It's been about 9 years since I quit, and now it grosses me out to be around smoke. My husband quit shortly after we met, but he still has an occasional smoke with his brother or friends. He also went cold turkey.
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 9:22 PM on Feb. 2, 2011

• Cold turkey, it's been 5 years, 6 months.

banana-bear

Answer by banana-bear at 9:29 PM on Feb. 2, 2011

• Chantix is great. It made me really nauseaus (sorry for sp) but if I ate half my food, took it, ate the other half it was better. You smoke on it for first week then quit and keep taking it. Before the week was up, I would go a long time before I realized I hadn't smoked. It makes you not even think about smoking. It's great! I have heard some people have crazy dreams and some have depression but I didnt'. I didnt even take it the whole 12 weeks. Just 1 and quit taking it on my quit date. I've been smoke free since May of 2010 so 9 months.
    huntin_mama

Answer by huntin_mama at 9:30 PM on Feb. 2, 2011

• My doc put me on welbutrin which is a form of Zyban (which is a med thats supposed to help with smoking) and its used also as an antidepressant. I started this drug 5 years ago, it took me about 2-3 months on it to quit, I have been smoke free ever since. I have stayed on the pill as it works for me as a "mood stabilizer" I have mild depression so this works out super well. Usually like once a year I will have cravings for a cig that last a couple weeks on and off so I give in and have a drag of a friends cig and I instantly get disgusted and feel sick to my stomach and thats all the reminder I need to continue not smoking. Also with welbutrin a side effect can sometimes be weight loss so I actually lost weight while quitting smoking. 15lbs to be exact.
    mitchellb

Answer by mitchellb at 8:59 AM on Feb. 3, 2011