Help with Thyroid- removing? Lap Band?

I am 26 years old and very over weight (100+) pounds. I have had a problem with my thyroid since I was 12 and it has yet to ever be controlled. Just curious if anyone has ever had a problem with theirs for that long. I want the doc to remove it so we can just be done with it, but i'm not sure if that will help.

I also want to ask him about having the lap band done, but i'm not sure of how it all would work out...

any tips/advice, etc would help! please be nice! :-)

john2007

Asked by john2007 at 9:25 PM on Feb. 2, 2011 in Diet & Fitness

• I didn't know it was that difficult to regulate hypothyroidism with the supplements. Are there other underlying problems going on, too? I always thought low thyroid was pretty easy to fix without other issues contributing.

I just don't see how a band would help if the problems stem from your thyroid. Your metabolism is still going to be low even if it's banded. You just won't be able to physically consume as much.

Have you talked to a nutritionist? It might be worth going over calories taken in/calorie type for satiation/etc ... before considering surgery. I think hypothyroidism makes you heal more slowly, too, so that would increase the risk of complications.
    JZ10FPM

Answer by JZ10FPM at 7:30 AM on Feb. 3, 2011

• i agree with above i dont think the band would help
    san78

Answer by san78 at 8:13 AM on Feb. 3, 2011

• Do not go down the surgery path. No lap band. No thyroid op. You are too young and there will be serious consequences later. Go to Weight Watchers or something first. Walk every day, working up to three miles. Drink water before and after every meal. The thyroid thing will sort itself out in time if you live an extremely healthy lifestyle. But it needs to be EXTREMELY.
    MLM247

Answer by MLM247 at 7:09 PM on Feb. 5, 2011