spotting at 6wks?

Iv never had this issue with my children but my good friend is 6weeks pregnant and having some spotting no cramps but sometimes she said its a dark brown and barely anything and then sometimes she will get a big gush of bright red blood. shes been to the hospital and they told her they didnt know why she was bleeding they did a ultrasound and found baby hanging out in there at the ultrasound baby was mearsuring 5wks 4days and had a heartbeat of 170bpm. very good and strong has anyone ever had this issue and been ok? shes really upset and i dont know what to do for her since i havnt been there.

Jaxsmommy09

Asked by Jaxsmommy09 at 9:26 PM on Feb. 2, 2011 in Pregnancy

• This exact thing happend to me! Everything was fine! DD is healthy and just turned 4 in Dec. Sometimes things like that just happen
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 9:28 PM on Feb. 2, 2011

• Wow what a blessing that everything was ok on both accounts. I was going to say it could be serious, as I have lost a pregnancy but I don't have a lot of other experience, just mine.
    Anonymous

• I am a bleeder with my pregnancies. I bled with my first daughter for a week, my second daughter for 3 weeks, and with this pregnancy I have been spotting brown blood for about 3 weeks. If they found baby and baby's heartbeat is strong, she is probably fine. Tell her to try to relax although it is scary, I know, but stress will do more harm than good. Good luck to her and congrats!
    amber1330

Answer by amber1330 at 9:31 PM on Feb. 2, 2011

• I had a scare like that with my 1st child. I was 7 weeks pregnant & started spotting dark blood that lasted a day or so. I called my dr and had the same response your friend did u/s and all. My bleeding eventually stopped but started up again a week later. This time I called my mom and decided to wait it out a bit. It again eventually stopped. A week later the bleeding started up again this time blood and a lot of it. I went to the ER but of course at night they couldn't do anything, the took blood and gave me a z-pack, because the dr I was seeing said that there is a bacteria that can cause bleeding during pregnancy and if found positive my dh would have to take the drug as well. My hormone levels came back good and I tested negative for the bacteria. By morning my bleeding had stopped that time for good.

Some bleeding is common in pregnancy and as long as she is not in pain and the bleeding is no huge she will be fine!
    ChristyW3

Answer by ChristyW3 at 9:35 PM on Feb. 2, 2011

• Also my dr told me that if a heart beat is found the chances of Miscarriage drops to 5%. Good luck to your friend!!!
    ChristyW3

Answer by ChristyW3 at 9:36 PM on Feb. 2, 2011

• 170 is pretty high for a heartbeat-- and usually they cant even detect a heartbeat until 6 weeks and a few days... and that early on the heartbeat is usually around 90 and 110.

brown blood is usually fine..

red blood is not a good sign.. id tell her to keep her feet up and relax.
    kayteebug93

Answer by kayteebug93 at 9:37 PM on Feb. 2, 2011