Has anyone ever had a child that seemed to get sick like once a month??

is this normal?? My son isn't 2 yet and he seems to have like a 2 day fever thing every month.

Yes, I've taken him to pedis and they just say a virus run its course...but wow this is so often imo

and he's not in daycare, he stays with me, but he does have an older brother that is in school..

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:31 PM on Feb. 2, 2011 in Kids' Health

• Im guessing youve talked to his pediatrition? My dds ped told us that its normal for young kids to get sick up to 10 times a year. So if its a low grade fever then its prob nothing. Theres no harm in checking though and doing some blood work if needed.GL!

Also....are these fevers from infections that are treated with antibiotics? Just asking bc my daughter was getting ear infections ALL the time and now has tubes.
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 9:34 PM on Feb. 2, 2011

• Is he in daycare or around a lot of germs?? Last January my son was sick with different things for like 3 months. He was 15 months. I put him on vitamins and that helped a little. He's been better this winter with sickness.
    sunshine58103

Answer by sunshine58103 at 9:34 PM on Feb. 2, 2011

• And remember that there is a diff b/n a fever and actually being sick. If its low grade and your child is eating the same, playiing and acting himself then its usually nothing
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 9:35 PM on Feb. 2, 2011

• P.S. My son also had tons of ear infections in between all the colds and stomach viruses. He got tubes too and they didn't work. :( Now I think he's grown out of it a little.
    sunshine58103

Answer by sunshine58103 at 9:36 PM on Feb. 2, 2011

• No, and I feel for you. If you do the cleaning frenzy with bleach all the time, i'd say stop- let him get the germs and build up the antibodies, and up his healthy foods like oranges, green veggies, and such.
    txdaniella

Answer by txdaniella at 9:40 PM on Feb. 2, 2011

• All of my kids have done that at some point when they were very small. My youngest went through a period of time where he'd run a fever for a couple of days every 2-3 weeks. We were just about to investigate with the pediatrician when he had a seizure (turns out he has epilepsy.) It was a Sunday and we had to take him to the ER per our pediatrician. He had strep. To everyone's best guess, he had a low level of it probably in his digestive tract and it had finally traveled up to his throat (or was present because he vomited.) They gave him an antibiotic and he hasn't had a fever since then (April.) He's had a couple of colds, but no fevers (or breakthrough seizures) knock wood. He just turned 6.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 9:41 PM on Feb. 2, 2011

• He got tubes too and they didn't work. :(

AWW thats rough! My dds tubes are a God Send! I cant imagine going through the constant antibiotics and steroids like I had to with dd before them! At least hes grown out of it =)
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 9:41 PM on Feb. 2, 2011

• my daughter has gotten sick with something new every month since october. it sucks! idk what the deal is
    MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 10:52 PM on Feb. 2, 2011

• Same here. Once a month. Also if its out there he will catch it. We stock up on disinfectant and anti-bacterials!
    Been told the same thing as you.
    Still sucks :-(
    mslksdh

Answer by mslksdh at 5:36 PM on Feb. 3, 2011