food allergy?

Ok so I starrd my son on baby food recently, I gave him some organic bananas he got this red patch on his head, by his temple going all the way to the crown of his head. Could this be a food allergy? It is the only symptom, this happened the last time i gave him bananas as well but i just thought it was from were he had his head against his seat. i know that this time his head wasnt against the seat. So I was wondering if anyone has heard of anything like this before?

stephmiester87

Asked by stephmiester87 at 10:15 PM on Nov. 15, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Sure. Allergies can come is all shapes and sizes. When rashes start showing up around the face and head i would pay close attention. Only because of the possibility of his airway being shut off from swelling. I would skip the bananas for right now and maybe try them in a few more months. It's good that you took notice.

Southerncharmes

Answer by Southerncharmes at 10:18 PM on Nov. 15, 2008

• Starting a baby on new foods can be a very exciting and scary thing. When you start a baby on new foods always feed him the same food for 3-5 days, this way if something does happen and he as a reaction you know which food caused it.
    Food allergies happen before the 3rd birthday. About 90 percent of food allergies in babies and children are to one of 5 foods: cow’s milk, soy, eggs, peanuts, or wheat. Food allergy can be so severe that the most trivial contact with the food causes immediate itching, tingling, and/or swelling of the lips, tongue, and throat.

DancerMomof2

Answer by DancerMomof2 at 10:49 PM on Nov. 15, 2008

• My oldest breaks out in hives terrible. Carries an Epi pen for bad cases of it where he has trouble breathing and gives a shot to him ...he has never had to use it because it can be controlled with a med called Clartin, that's what his doctor gave to him and works well. Do check with doctor I am sure ya know that, it's really nice to know what food causes it. My son is 22 yrs old now and still just guesses what causes his. Good Luck!
    Joyo4

Answer by Joyo4 at 1:20 AM on Nov. 16, 2008