On Depo and still have period...ugh!!! adult content

I am on depo..have been for a year...if I go get it a week before my window, I dont get periods but if I get it on time, I do. but eventually if i keep getting it a week early, i will be back where i started getting it on week of period except a month early. not sure if that makes sense.

huntin_mama

Asked by huntin_mama at 9:42 PM on Feb. 2, 2011 in Health

• well actually i need to do a correction. after looking at NEW research and updated info there is a lifespan. you should only take it for 2 years due to the fact that it can reduce calcium in the body. and only 50% of women stop bleeding. http://familydoctor.org/online/famdocen/home/women/contraceptive/043.html
    laura970

Answer by laura970 at 9:59 PM on Feb. 2, 2011

• i'm not sure i understand
    kittymeri

Answer by kittymeri at 9:45 PM on Feb. 2, 2011

• are you getting the depot injections? How many have you had because there is a maximum dose you can have in a life time?
    I was getting the injection for a four month span and my periods stopped completely while getting the injections but the dose i was on i could only have 8 injections in a life time. Your doctor might have to up your dose to stop your period all together.
    Mommabearofone

Answer by Mommabearofone at 9:47 PM on Feb. 2, 2011

• i didnt know there was a life span to the depo shot and i didnt think that there was different doses either. i was on the shot for over 6 years every three months and every time i had one they had came in a prefilled syringe packaged from the drug company. all i had to do was drop my pants a bit and put my weight on the other leg. as for your periods after a year you really should stop having periods all together. for me after my third shot i didnt have a period for the next 5 or so years. but again everyone is different and just like any bc it is different for each person. talk to your doc about it next time you get your shot.
    laura970

Answer by laura970 at 9:54 PM on Feb. 2, 2011

• They never told me that but, I get it every 3 months. Maybe my cycles aren't on a normal 28 day cycle. B/c if I get it a few days before my window opens (I have about 2 weeks to get it in), I don't bleed at all but if I wait for the window, I've either already started when I get it or I end up starting soon after anyway. I'll have to look into that b/c I like the thought of not getting a period but I don't want to lose my bone strength in the long run.
    huntin_mama

Comment by huntin_mama (original poster) at 10:50 PM on Feb. 2, 2011