Is she really that advanced??

My daughter turned 15 months about two weeks ago. At her well check appt. her doctor asked me if she was saying at least 6 words other than Mama and Dada. I said yes because I knew my daughter could say many more words than that. she says about 43 words. I don't feel like she is that much more advanced than other kids her age. So I'm just wondering if 6 is like a bare minimum of words they should be saying, and most kids can say way more at this age??

Anon344

Asked by Anon344 at 9:56 PM on Feb. 2, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• That's correct that the dr. was checking the bare minimum, if they're not saying at least 6 words by about 15-18 months of age Dr.'s start to look into speech delays. The next minimum milestone is 50 words by age 2. Most children know drastically more then this, but if a 24 month old only says 30 words it can mean there's something else going on, typically speech therapy related.
    ba13ygrl1987

Answer by ba13ygrl1987 at 10:09 PM on Feb. 2, 2011

• yes that is a routine question to screen for autism...
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 9:59 PM on Feb. 2, 2011

• Honestly, I was curious when my dr. asked me this too, so I started writing down the words she could say, and by 18months she was up to 190 words. When I told the dr. he said that that was a little advanced but some kids are. He didnt think it was a huge deal so I guess it wasnt. I think boys talk less, so maybe at that age thats all some of them do say. I wouldnt say thats an average though, I think its just a minimum they look for.
    chipper87

Answer by chipper87 at 10:00 PM on Feb. 2, 2011