so my son is figuring out that not every one is the same race.....

So here latley my son (4 yr old) is interested in race. He cares what people are and wants to know.

Well at home of course its easier, I just tell him God made us different on the outside and it had more to do with where our ansestors came from than much else. I tell him inder our skin were all the same. We all have the same parts.

Well in public he likes to point out people of different races, like if they are black he says "mom do you see that black guy/lady?" Or if they are asian he points that.

The real issue ain't really what my son says, it's how some people react. He's 4 so he kinda talks loud so he's often overheard. Normally I explain that he's just figuring stuff out but occasionally people get offended.

So what would u say when others get offended and won't accept the fact he isn't racist, he's a curious 4 year old.

lstrickland

Asked by lstrickland at 10:10 PM on Feb. 2, 2011 in General Parenting

• If they say something to you, I would probably react by saying, I'm sorry should I teach him to be racist. Otherwise I would just smile, and say good job bud, he's 4 he's curious, if people can't understand that maybe they are the ones that need to be retaught etiquette. I applaud you for explaining to them that he's just now realizing that their is more than one race. Don't worry about the ones that get offended over something like that, if that offends them I'm sure no matter what you do will offend them too. Good Luck and Brightest Blessings.
    kitchenwitch78

Answer by kitchenwitch78 at 10:15 PM on Feb. 2, 2011

• Most people understand that he is just a child and should not be offended.It is all part of growing up. The old saying kids will be kids is so true!
    tracylyn245

Answer by tracylyn245 at 10:14 PM on Feb. 2, 2011

• my son is figuring out people are different colors....he's 3. My hubby had a few friends over that were african american ad since my son didnt know thier names "hi black guy! bye black guy". we all just ignored it at the time because the guys were talking and my hubby and i werent sure what he said at first lol i am so glad that they werent offended
    dreamangel06

Answer by dreamangel06 at 10:47 PM on Feb. 2, 2011

• Thanks, I really didn't want to tell him it wasn't something he could talk/ask about. I didn't really want it to seem like it was taboo or something bigger than it was.
    lstrickland

Comment by lstrickland (original poster) at 10:24 PM on Feb. 2, 2011

• We went through the with my dd when she was about the same age. She noticed that some kids are brown, some kids are peach, some kids are yellow (this is what she saw them as, not what we called them). She actually thought people of different color were not as smart or as "good" as she was. It was hard to get her to realize that we are all the same. I told her that God made everyone different colors, but we are all the same. I told her that what we need and want are the same things that other people need and want. I don't recall her pointing people out, but if some one does get offended, just tell him you are trying to teach him. Kids are curious, and if need be, apologize.

krissyvelazquez

Answer by krissyvelazquez at 10:54 PM on Feb. 2, 2011

• I would just explain to your child that it's maybe not appropriate to point out other people's race like that. That if he has questions that's okay and you're happy to answer them, but to point them out by race isn't really okay. When other people talk to you about him pointing out their race you tell him that he's a curious boy who is interested in why people are different races. That he isn't trying to offend anyone he just wants to know why people aren't all the same. It's very normal for a child to go through this stage. It's sad that people accuse him of being a racist.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 11:08 PM on Feb. 2, 2011