We all know who wants the individual mandate...right...right...

wink wink, nudge, nudge...

who's it really for...oh yeah, the people, right...

lovinangels

Asked by lovinangels at 10:26 PM on Feb. 2, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• what's the question?
    Anonymous

• Who's it really for...and a down vote for your anon discourtesy.
    lovinangels

Comment by lovinangels (original poster) at 10:32 PM on Feb. 2, 2011

• Wonder how much stock the dems have in insurance and drug companies.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 10:37 PM on Feb. 2, 2011

_______________________
    I'd love to know that, too.
    lovinangels

Comment by lovinangels (original poster) at 10:39 PM on Feb. 2, 2011

• Lovin...you don't actually expect ANONS to click and READ, do you?! LOL....then they MIGHT *gasp* actually LEARN something!! LOL :o)
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 10:39 PM on Feb. 2, 2011

• Nah, but i get so pleased with myself when I use the down vote feature I have to make an announcement about it...
    lovinangels

Comment by lovinangels (original poster) at 10:40 PM on Feb. 2, 2011

• For insurers, eliminating millions of potential customers while keeping other aspects of the overhaul would be a "nuclear nightmare," says Robert Laszewski, president of Health Policy and Strategy Associates, a consulting firm that works with insurers. It would leave insurers without the extra revenue to cover higher costs from the law's ban on the denial of coverage to people with pre-existing conditions or charging sicker patients higher premiums. "It's the No. 1 lobby issue in the insurance industry right now," says Laszewski. (from the article)

Wow! Color me surprised.  So you mean that the insurance companies don't want this bill to go away?  Go figure.  I suppose they were really counting (and drooling) of the millions of new policies they stand to gain. 

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 10:41 PM on Feb. 2, 2011

• I know. It's so super duper shocking! I'm falling over myself with disbelief. _note utter sarcasm.
    lovinangels

Comment by lovinangels (original poster) at 10:44 PM on Feb. 2, 2011

• Lovin...So, I'm going to go out on a limb here and say, that the insurance companies must be pretty damn ticked off at Obama and the former Congress that wrote this piece of crap legislation in forgetting to include the severability clause!! LOL
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 10:56 PM on Feb. 2, 2011

• Of course! AHIP, whom represents 1300 insurers nationwide, proposed the mandate in 2008. Blue Cross Blue Shield Association put out a press release simultaneously stating they agreed to the same plan. I am an underwriter in the individual market, so those press releases were basically how we found out we would be losing our jobs. we held a meeting a week later and were let in on "the proposal". They made it pretty clear that even though it sucks for us, its good for them. Assholes. lol. Apparently they don't bet on it being repealed either, at least not without a fight since Monday we just got an email about a program set up just for us individual folks for career advancement and training classes. This mandate is their wet dream come true.
    Astraea_79

Answer by Astraea_79 at 11:48 PM on Feb. 2, 2011