How do you deal with your child's lying?

My eight yr old son has been telling lots of obvious lies lately. Anyone have any suggestions on how to handle this?

elffyefli

Asked by elffyefli at 10:27 PM on Feb. 2, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Yeah I hve the same problem. I need ideas to, mine lies about everything he can. Oh, and things are always other peoples faults. I can seem him do something wrong and he knows I seen him and he will still lie. Good Luck!!! I hope someone can help.
    tgeary

Answer by tgeary at 10:35 PM on Feb. 2, 2011

• When he does lie ask him why he is telling stories and let him know that it is not ok
    ExtremlyUnique

Answer by ExtremlyUnique at 11:33 PM on Feb. 2, 2011

• Like that he did his homework when he didn't? Or like he didn't hit a kid when he did?
    Can you explain it more?
    I think that how you handle it depends on the nature of the lie~
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 2:58 AM on Feb. 3, 2011

• If your child is telling lies, he may not want to tell the truth for fear of punishment, or that he may disappoint you. Try and talk to your child about the importance of telling the truth no matter what. Allow him to feel comfortable with you to know as long as you tell the truth you will not be punished. If and when he does tell lies then you need to discipline, and let him know this is not okay with you. If he tells the truth then praise him for being honest with you. I hope this helps.
    Kellyjude1

Answer by Kellyjude1 at 11:06 PM on Feb. 4, 2011

• I started lying back to him. I would tell him we were going to the movies and when the time came to go, he would say,"Mom, I thought we were going to the movies/" I would say, "Sorry, I lied" Didnt take him long to realize lying was not the way to go
    shivasgirl

Answer by shivasgirl at 2:23 AM on Feb. 7, 2011