What's so hard about driving an AUTOMATIC?

I overheard this girl saying that she's been driving an automatic shift for a month and still sucks at it. How is it even possible to suck at driving an automatic when you don't do anything!!! Am I missing something? Is there someone here who drives a stick who can explain this?

BTW - this is more of a rant, I don't REALLY care, just curious. I know someone out there will ask me why it bothers me so much lol.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:30 PM on Feb. 2, 2011 in Just for Fun

• Maybe she just sucks at driving in general
    WARNING

Answer by WARNING at 11:23 PM on Feb. 2, 2011

• she had to mean a manual shift. a monkey could drive a automatic.
    laura970

Answer by laura970 at 10:37 PM on Feb. 2, 2011

• I am thinking she was confused.
    treynlisa

Answer by treynlisa at 10:35 PM on Feb. 2, 2011

• She probably meant stick shift
    MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 10:36 PM on Feb. 2, 2011

• had to mean stick or she has some type of issue.
    hill2

Answer by hill2 at 11:05 PM on Feb. 2, 2011

• I'm guessing it was a blonde moment. But if you've been driving a manual for a long time and you get into an automatic it can be a challenge to remember not to move your foot to the clutch that isn't there or reach for the stickshift that isn't in the same place and doesn't move the same way...but it should really only take a couple times of feeling like a dimbulb before you stop doing that.
    misses_nick

Answer by misses_nick at 12:02 AM on Feb. 3, 2011

• well if she's still shifting she'll know when she blows out the transmission! i have no idea what she thinks is so hard. who knows...but i'm curious.
    ThatBoysMom

Answer by ThatBoysMom at 10:36 PM on Feb. 2, 2011

• oh yeah, maybe she meant to say "manual shift". just got the wrong word or something
    ThatBoysMom

Answer by ThatBoysMom at 10:37 PM on Feb. 2, 2011

• She might've misunderstood what an Automatic was. Maybe she thought that she was talking about a stick shift and didn't realize Automatic was something different .. It could also be that she's used to driving a stick shift and finding it hard to remember you don't manually change gears in an automatic.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 11:01 PM on Feb. 2, 2011

• I would like to think that she meant a stick shift, but I've heard other people say that driving an automatic is hard. I have no idea why someone would think it's hard, though.
    Mrs.BAT

Answer by Mrs.BAT at 10:46 PM on Feb. 2, 2011