what can I do to increase my breastmilk

cilogan

Asked by cilogan at 10:22 PM on Nov. 15, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Nurse as often as possible and pump a little in between too.
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 10:23 PM on Nov. 15, 2008

• my baby would only feed apx every 2 hrs so i would pump every hr inbetween, it worked and i freezed it for when i had to go back to work.
    sanjuan

Answer by sanjuan at 10:26 PM on Nov. 15, 2008

• I had a HUGE problem with this while I was breastfeeding. The lactation consultant that I saw said to nurse as often as possible and then pump after every feeding for a couple days. If that does not work, then you may want to try some fenugreek and mother's milk tea. I had to take regalin for my milk supply. Get as much rest as possible and drink lots of fluids!!!
    a_and_j_momma

Answer by a_and_j_momma at 10:27 PM on Nov. 15, 2008

• Why do you think your supply is low? How often are you nursing, is baby eating anything else, how old?
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 10:30 PM on Nov. 15, 2008

• You can tell if you're baby is nursing enough by the amount of diapers she grows through. I
    Alma_C

Answer by Alma_C at 10:36 PM on Nov. 15, 2008

• your body is a supply and demand source. the more milk you secrete the more your body will make. Let the hot shower water run on them, the vibrations will tell your body to make more milk as well as the heat. Plus, if you have bocked milk ducts it will relieve those too. SO just keep nursing even if nothing comes out and keep PUMPING. good luck
    Leathersj

Answer by Leathersj at 11:10 PM on Nov. 15, 2008

• Sometimes your baby stops eating when they fall asleep but they are still hungry. Usually feeding time should take in between 15-30 mins so any time it's less than that it may mean that they didn't get enough. Try waking your little one back up and have the baby nurse a little longer. A wet cloth helps for the more stubborn ones.  Also try pumping in between feeding times. You can save the milk for others to use if your not around. Another way of getting a good flow is to massage your breast or drink mother's milk tea. It's a natural herbal tea that is suppose to help with milk production. Last thing to try is to have a blanket with you baby's scent on it or sleep next to your baby. It'll help you start nursing him on demand and the scent of your baby sometimes helps your breast produce milk.  Sounds crazy but it does work!  Good luck!  If you have any other questions you can message me if you want!
    floyd835

Answer by floyd835 at 11:37 PM on Nov. 15, 2008

• Make sure you are eating and getting fluids properly. and definately pump about an hour after a feeding
    sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 11:49 PM on Nov. 15, 2008

• the suggestions given are good. please contact a La Leche League Leader or lactation consultant in your area who can ask you more specific questions and give you more specific suggestions. many things can affect milk supply and having low supply can range from mildly annoying to being very serious for the baby, so please contact someone who can help you in person.
    Anonymous

• I know this sounds weird, but eat chocolate like Hershy candy bar. Eat any thing that has alot of milk in it. It will go straight to your breast milk!
    41andholdin

Answer by 41andholdin at 1:10 AM on Nov. 16, 2008