Dementia vs Alzheimer's

What is the difference between the two?
Has anyone in your family had either one?
What were the things that made you start wondering if someone in your family had either one?

elffyefli

Asked by elffyefli at 10:40 PM on Feb. 2, 2011 in Health

• I always thought they were one and the same. Yes my family has had it and some of the older folks have it now on my mom's side of the family

Answer by admckenzie at 10:41 PM on Feb. 2, 2011

• dementia is when there are periods of lucidity, alzhimers is where over time they forget everything and in the end can even forget the primal instincts like breathing (often the cause of death) it can be hard to dianose between the two but one keep difference is that they usually know where they are and the people around them with dementia with alzheimers they are confused about everything and dont know where they are or who the people around them are. i had a grandfather with alzheimers and my husbands grandmother had a bit of dementia.
    with my grandfather it was him always asking what day it was and time with my hubbys grandmother it was the odd things that she would say that didnt pertain to anything or things that she wanted us to do that had been done for a long time already but was sharp as a tack most of the time.
    laura970

Answer by laura970 at 10:47 PM on Feb. 2, 2011

• Dementia is a broad term and alzheimr's disease is a specific disease under the umbrella. There are many types of dementia-alzheimer's; pick's disease; korsakoff's, parkinson's related dementia etc. Think of it like dementia is the make and alzheimer's is the model
    Danyellimom

Answer by Danyellimom at 11:00 PM on Feb. 2, 2011

• There are multiple forms of memory loss and cognitive degeneration. Alzheimers is simply one form of it, and dementia is often a term used to describe the process. Alzheimers is a slow progression with a rather predictable pattern. The brain eseentially loses function, to the point of even losing "automatic" function activities, such as bladder and bowel control, etc.

Busimommi

Answer by Busimommi at 11:02 PM on Feb. 2, 2011

• They are different. Dementia is just a little forgetfulness and occasional confusion, can be caused by normal old age, and other illness, alzheimers can start out as dementia, but advance to alzheimers which is more a clinical disease and more severe.
    AshleyBDG

Answer by AshleyBDG at 11:07 PM on Feb. 2, 2011

• My mom has alzheimers. Feel free to send me a message if you have any questions.

Answer by rkoloms at 6:33 AM on Feb. 3, 2011