What is a good Christian Bible quote to say at a funeral? Or to help people with grief of a family members death?

Anon344

Asked by Anon344 at 10:49 PM on Feb. 2, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

• Revelation 21:4 He will wipe every tear from their eyes and there will be no more death, nor crying, nor pain.....

Isaiah 40:31....but those that wait on the Lord shall renew their strength...they will mount on wings like eagles, they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not faint....

Anon...sometimes a Bible verse is supportive for Christians......
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 10:55 PM on Feb. 2, 2011

• Fear thou not; for I am with thee: be not dismayed; for I am thy God: I will strengthen thee; yea, I will help thee; yea, I will uphold thee with the right hand of my righteousness. . . . For I the LORD thy God will hold thy right hand, saying unto thee, Fear not; I will help thee.
    Isaiah 41:10, 13
    maiahlynn

Answer by maiahlynn at 10:54 PM on Feb. 2, 2011

• Matthew 5:4 Blessed are those who mourn, for they will be comforted.

http://encouragingbiblequotes.com/versescomforta.html

MommyH2

Answer by MommyH2 at 10:59 PM on Feb. 2, 2011

• I wouldn't want scripture quoted to me if I was grieving. Just be there and supportive. As for the funeral, just speak from the heart, not the Bible.
    Anonymous

• If the family is Christian and the person who passed was, you can focus on the fact that the person is finally home, it's a joyous occasion because Christians live their lives for God to someday join him in heaven and it's a celebration when you finally get to go- as long as you know where that person went, kwim? I'm very sorry for your loss though. It's always hard to be without a loved one, even if you do know they're up in heaven and happy.
    AshleyBDG

Answer by AshleyBDG at 10:55 PM on Feb. 2, 2011

• I understand if these our your feelings. This person has a very religious family and I am religiuos but I have not read the entire bible nor have I been to many funerals. I don't want to spend all night skimming through the bible looking for what I'm wanting to say. I don't know it like a lot of people do.I want to offer some comfort . This is how I think it will be done best.
    Anon344

Comment by Anon344 (original poster) at 10:57 PM on Feb. 2, 2011

• For the actual service ... Ecc 3:1-8 ... it's too long to put here, but it is a very good one.

You really don't want to quote the Bible to a grieving person even if they are Christian. You want to speak from the heart. And PLEASE don't say ... "At least they are in a better place." It's not what people want to hear.

You can help them just by being there and letting them grieve in their own way. Not everyone grieves in the same way, remember that. 

SpiritedWitch

Answer by SpiritedWitch at 11:00 PM on Feb. 2, 2011

• Actually "at least she is in a better place" is exactly what they want to hear. She has been suffering with stage 4 cancer for 4 years and the past few months she was in terrible pain all day every day. This was not a sudden death and the grief the family is feeling is only for themselves not the deceased. Thanks for the answers so far. These are some really perfect quotes for the situation.
    Anon344

Comment by Anon344 (original poster) at 11:05 PM on Feb. 2, 2011