WTH ...

So I was never a "welfare basher" ... I always believed that if you need it , you SHOULD be on it...and I never understood why so many people complained about it...

But now I get it ... I have a friend who is on PA because her husband has the same job he had in high school - barely making $9/hour and she stays home witht he kids ( daycare costs more than what he makes, so I understand her staying home too ) .... but then as we were talking she said he was offered a job of higher pay ( $14/hour) ...and he turned it down because they would lose their PA ? That is so crazy !

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:57 PM on Feb. 2, 2011 in Just for Fun

• that is crazy
    mommy_jules

Answer by mommy_jules at 11:00 PM on Feb. 2, 2011

• In our county there was an incident of a case worker asking one of my friends if they would be willing to get a divorce, because they just didn't qualify as a family. How messed up is that. I seriously think welfare needs to be reformed.
    kitchenwitch78

Answer by kitchenwitch78 at 11:01 PM on Feb. 2, 2011

• Not necessarily crazy. They have to weigh the difference between total monthly income with his $9/hr and PA and $14/hr without PA. There is probably a large difference. Not to mention that increased pay can mean increased taxes taken from the paycheck.
    ElenaC419

Answer by ElenaC419 at 11:03 PM on Feb. 2, 2011

• Sounds to me they like taking advantage of the system and all it offers (thanks to the taxpayers) than to try and do better for his family with a higher paying job, and possibly getting away from assistance!
    Kathy675

Answer by Kathy675 at 11:06 PM on Feb. 2, 2011

• Some people are just abusing the government help. It is sad.
    WARNING

Answer by WARNING at 11:11 PM on Feb. 2, 2011

• If he had that pay and she got a job, they'd probably be able to cover childcare and still come out ahead. Tax bracket shouldn't be an issue. Not to mention, he doesn't sound like he aspires to much....how 'bout living that way till the day you die? If not step up in pay now, when?
    Anonymous

• I would have had my dh stay home while I worked...I have to much pride to be on PA and actually we could be on it now because both me and my dh are not working but we would rather figure things out for ourselves, but that is the way we were raised
    wheresthewayout

Answer by wheresthewayout at 12:02 AM on Feb. 3, 2011

• My S/O lost his job for 2 yrs and we had to go on welfare for a few months bec I had 2 kids and I couldn't get a job, tried, but couldn't. He was going thru something w/his Union and couldn't get a job until this problem got resolved. Anyway, when I went in to apply the lady told me we didn't qualify but would I leave my S/O and then I would get it. Well I just sat there and cried and said no I wouldn't. I don't remember how or why we got on it, but we did. I use to hide and make sure no one saw me using food stamps, and the made sure the cashiers didn't know me. I was in dire need of it, and so ashamed of being on it. The system makes it so easy for people to abuse it so they do, and some people who really do need it, like myself for a few months, are ashamed to be on it. As long as the system lets them do it, they will.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:19 AM on Feb. 3, 2011

• yeah, it's so common and so pathetic.
    ThankfullyProud

Answer by ThankfullyProud at 10:02 AM on Feb. 3, 2011

• Just another person scamming the system, and everyone who isn't doing that, is paying for them. There need to be changes made.
    SweetLuci

Answer by SweetLuci at 10:21 AM on Feb. 3, 2011