This was actually said to me....

I am so angry !

My husband and I have always tried to make sure that we make decent lives for our kids . he has always had a good job, but in October he lost that job and in the begining of december was able to get a year long temp job. ( they actually said they are going to try and place him there full time because he is such a great worker , so hopefully that does happen) .... I got a job in November, and when he started back to work we had tohave a babysitter ( which is cheaper than daycare) , but we suddenly realized - to pay the babysitter takes my whole paycheck plus $12 of my husbands.... How dumb is that ? so of course I quit to stay home with my babies.... we do get a small amount of food stamps and on the state insurance, but it is just until a better job ( for one of us) comes along, we in no way plan on "living off the system" . So I dont exactly get why a person ( a relative of my husband) would tell me " It is so sad that you are letting your children because welfare trash, how selfish are you to quit your job so you can stay home all day and not worry about a thing, which of course you don't have to since I am paying your bills"

I thought that was so disgusting, this is a 40-some year old woman who we only see maybe 2 or 3 times a year...

It makes me feel horrible ( even though I know she is the trash and I shouldnt let someone like that make me feel so badly) ... but it is just common sense for me not to work just to pay a babysitter ( and still have to add money) . My house is spotless, my kids are very well mannered and very clean - nicely dressed and their hair is always fixed, the same with me and my husband.... and yet she is acting like ( and letting other people believe) that we live in a pig slop ...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:07 PM on Feb. 2, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• Ignore her! The last thing you need in your life is negativity
    ExtremlyUnique

Answer by ExtremlyUnique at 11:09 PM on Feb. 2, 2011

• you and your family know the truth, don't even honor her ignorance with a response. You have no need to defend your family or yourself.
    ElenaC419

Answer by ElenaC419 at 11:10 PM on Feb. 2, 2011

• She's ignorant....I'd stay away from her....what a horrible thing to say....
    Anna92464

Answer by Anna92464 at 11:11 PM on Feb. 2, 2011

• I agree with Anna
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 11:12 PM on Feb. 2, 2011

• My guess would be that she thinks that because if she has ever been on any kind of assistance that's how she lived. Sorry that you had to hear that. From family no less.
    2murphyboys

Answer by 2murphyboys at 11:13 PM on Feb. 2, 2011

• What the hell is your husband paying into then....I'm sorry, this is the first post that has seriously pissed me off. I am so sick of self righteous pricks out there bitching about paying for people who work and pay taxes to be on public assistance. If anything those that work and are trying to make a living are the ones that should be helped out instead of the ones who pop kids out like candy just so they can stay on the system. Do Not let people like her bring you down, there is no reason for you to go to work and let someone else raise your kids for you to actually lose money. Keep doing what you are doing with your head held high, and if she says anything again tell her to shut her piehole that it is none of her business.
    kitchenwitch78

Answer by kitchenwitch78 at 11:14 PM on Feb. 2, 2011

• Don't allow her to take up any space in your head, people like her haven't a clue what it's like for young families like yourself. You DO have a job and a very important one at that and being a SAHM is one of the toughest jobs there is! On call 24/7. It would be different if you weren't trying and had the “govt. owes me" attitude but clearly you don't. So hold your head high and be proud of yourself and your family, forget the words of fools who don't think first before they speak.
    Kathy675

Answer by Kathy675 at 11:15 PM on Feb. 2, 2011

• kissing dadI'm sorry. Don't breathe any more life into it. You know what you're doing is what is right for your family.

jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 11:16 PM on Feb. 2, 2011

• OH MY GOD... I AM PISSED FOR YOU.....
    1. she must be miserable with her own life...
    2. she feels the need to put you down to make her look good.
    3. its not like your being lazy, it IS a job itself staying home to take care of ur kids
    4. THATS WHAT HELP IS THERE FOR, ITS FOR PEOPLE WHO NEED IT..
    5. she obviously doesnt know you very well to say something like that
    6. she needs to mind her own business unless shes trying to help you..!!!!
    god bless her soul..
    jenny2150

Answer by jenny2150 at 11:18 PM on Feb. 2, 2011

• worrying/being mad about what this person says only validates him/her. Just ignore it, you know the truth. It IS stupid to pay more than you make for someone to babisit your children just so you can go to work!
    Belovedmoonpixi

Answer by Belovedmoonpixi at 11:25 PM on Feb. 2, 2011