How can i get my 3 almost 4 year old to sleep in his bed?

I've tried what i think is everything. Nothing works. We moved to our house in Nov. and at first he said there were monsters in his room. So we took a garbage bag and captured the monsters and threw them outside. Now he just refuses to sleep in his bed. Even when he falls asleep on the couch and we take him to his bed, he wakes up in the middle of the night and comes to our bed. Please help me!!!

Dawn1018

Asked by Dawn1018 at 9:54 PM on Jul. 7, 2008 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Take him to his own bed, kiss him and tell him goodnight. Leave the room. (he will try to coax you back in) If he gets up, pick him up and say no it's bed time sweetheart. Then put him back into bed and walk out. don't stay to talk or answer him. After that, each time he gets up you pick him up, say nothing at all and put him back. He will cry and scream and fuss but you must stay strong. This really works. He will eventually fall asleep. This may take a few days but if you are strong they will give in.
    godservant

Answer by godservant at 10:20 PM on Jul. 7, 2008

• Cold turkey! It is harder on you than it will be on him. Even though he will scream & holler you have to let it run it's course. He won't remember this, I know I felt bad breaing my 14 month old. But he sleeps in his bed and wakes up with a smile. We have a nightime routine. Bath, book, tickle then bed. a routine helps them slowly adjust to bedtime.
    Anonymous

• What they said... Please remember who's the boss... When it's time for bed, that is your decision, not your childs. Say "Bedtime" and mean it. Not so difficult in the end. Maybe for a day or two, but remeber who is boss.
    barbjohnson

Answer by barbjohnson at 1:40 AM on Jul. 10, 2008

• Thanks for the answers, I will be trying what you all said on friday night incase its a long night....
    Dawn1018

Answer by Dawn1018 at 6:16 PM on Jul. 10, 2008

• let himsleep with u about a week talk to him/her about monsters isn't real
    123456elizabeth

Answer by 123456elizabeth at 9:21 PM on Jul. 12, 2008