How are the republicans trying to redefine rape?

There's ire. Oh yes, there's ire.

Evidently those "Evil Republicans" -said with deep eye roll and big sarcastic voice." are at it again. This time going after women's rights with a hatchet...um, I mean, a pen.

The following words have caused a tidal wave of wrath throughout the nation...and I quote,

"‘SEC. 309. TREATMENT OF ABORTIONS RELATED TO RAPE, INCEST, OR PRESERVING THE LIFE OF THE MOTHER.

3
‘The limitations established in sections 301, 302, 303, and 304 shall not apply to an abortion-
102
‘(1) if the pregnancy occurred because the pregnant female was the subject of an act of forcible rape or, if a minor, an act of incest;

‘(2) in the case where the pregnant female suffers from a physical disorder, physical injury, or physical illness that would, as certified by a physician, place the pregnant female in danger of death unless an abortion is performed, including a life-endangering physical condition caused by or arising from the pregnancy itself."

Or, to paraphrase, Tax dollars WILL PROVIDE abortions to victims of rape, incest, or those women will die if they don't receive the procedure.

Is it the word forcible? because the very definition of the word rape includes the word. I'll give you a linky for the bill in a quick minute.

lovinangels

Asked by lovinangels at 11:19 PM on Feb. 2, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• Just to make sure I am comprehending thius right, the republicans are giving the ok for abortions if a woman gets pregnant from the result of these 'violations'? And if the woman's life was in danger?
    Michigan-Mom74

Answer by Michigan-Mom74 at 11:23 PM on Feb. 2, 2011

• what offends me is your description of the republicans. I am a republican and I am so not evil. You may want to re phrase that.

on to the question at hand. to me all rape is forcible but what they are getting at is the different kinds of rape.
    Here is a snipit from wikipedia.
    There are several types of rape, generally categorized by reference to the situation in which it occurs, the sex or characteristics of the victim, and/or the sex or characteristics of the perpetrator. Different types of rape include but are not limited to: date rape, gang rape, marital rape or spousal rape, incestual rape, child sexual abuse, prison rape, acquaintance rape, war rape and statutory rape.
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 11:27 PM on Feb. 2, 2011

• All rapes are forcible.

Forcible Rape, by UCR definition, it the carnal knowledge of a person forcibly or against that person’s will, or when a victim is mentally or physically incapable of giving consent. Attempts to commit rape are included in this category. One offense is counted for each victim of rape. Statutory rapes and other types of sexual assaults are not counted as rape under the UCR program

So the big hissy fit is just ignorant people spouting off on something they have no clue about. And UCR is the standarnd UNIFORM CRIME REPORT.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 11:34 PM on Feb. 2, 2011

• And shan, she is being sarcastic.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 11:36 PM on Feb. 2, 2011

• I read it a bit more .. lets break it down..

IF the pregnancy because the female of an ACT of forcible rape or if a minor an act of incest.
    This says to me there needs to be proof.. thus the word IF at the beginning of the sentence. The word ACT means any act of forcible rape as such as what I listed in the previous paragraph which described all the forcible type of rape.
    I think the rest is self explanatory. I am not sure that I agree. The chances of there be any of these issues is very very small. Most woman can carry to full term. My concern is the false reporting could rise so they can get the abortion... but I also believe many women will keep the baby . Otherwise they will deal with trauma on top of another trauma and that itself can cause more damage to a person.
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 11:36 PM on Feb. 2, 2011

• And shan, she is being sarcastic.
    _____________________
    little bit, yeah. One day I'll learn that only people that know me can read my tone in my words.
    lovinangels

Comment by lovinangels (original poster) at 11:37 PM on Feb. 2, 2011

• it's my understanding that their definition of "forcible" does not include duress, coercion or cases where a woman is drugged, and yes, I have a problem with that. 

autodidact

Answer by autodidact at 11:42 PM on Feb. 2, 2011

• And Shane, that's exactly the irony of the situation...

this bill actually allows FOR some taxpayer funded abortion-and a LOT of pro lifers are going to have that same, "wait a minute" pause, if not outright anger, at the idea of SOME of their taxpayer money going directly to abortions. As of now, I don't think ANY of it is supposed to go (could be wrong on that.) Although some DOES, it's well laundered and made to look pretty. This actually says that government funds can pay for these procedures in these cases.

I might be wrong on the existing law.
    lovinangels

Comment by lovinangels (original poster) at 11:44 PM on Feb. 2, 2011

____________________________
    Where does that understanding come from? Because it's not in the law itself...it's all over the blogosphere, some talking heads are spewing it, but it's not in the bill.
    lovinangels

Comment by lovinangels (original poster) at 11:46 PM on Feb. 2, 2011

• http://www.cafemom.com/answers/718748/Redifining_rape

It is ignorant questions like this one full of lies and twists that make people think that,

Auto, the actual defination of forcible rape is not changng. That is set by the URC.  It still includes all the same elements.  It is specifying more clearly what abortions will still be funded.

Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 11:48 PM on Feb. 2, 2011