Drug test??

I see a lot of post around lately about food stamps and other assistance. Do you think that people on food stamps or other assistance should be drug tested, like people do when applying for a job??? Of given a time limit??? JUST A QUESTION!!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:45 PM on Feb. 2, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• Yes I do. When I applied for my job I had to do a drug test. If ppl can afford drugs they shouldn't be asking for help.
    genagina

Answer by genagina at 11:47 PM on Feb. 2, 2011

• maybe long term...but not if a person is down on their luck and needs some help for awhile.
    tracylyn245

Answer by tracylyn245 at 11:47 PM on Feb. 2, 2011

• Being drug tested to be given help with their problem or to protect the children, maybe. Not to disallow them from getting assistance for their children.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 11:49 PM on Feb. 2, 2011

• But if you can afford the habit, why would you need to be asking for assistance? why not take that money and put it to better use. I don't get it.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:51 PM on Feb. 2, 2011

• yes i think that if you have to drug test for a job you should for pa but i also think if you fail the test your kids shouldnt suffer they should find alternative homes for the children
    MrsDuff

Answer by MrsDuff at 11:52 PM on Feb. 2, 2011

• Yes. I'm on food stamps and my children receive Medicaid. I would be more than willing to take a drug test.

Anonymous

• My state (Kentucky) has a bill in the House right now to require drug testing for all forms of PA. The details so far are you have to be tested when applying and once a year (I think) randomly after that. If you fail you are offered drug treatment services. If you turn down the program then you are stripped of your benefits. I'm fine with it.
    Astraea_79

Answer by Astraea_79 at 12:08 AM on Feb. 3, 2011

• Yes but there will be ways to get around it just like anything else. So in the long run it could be a waste of money.
    LiLJeni

Answer by LiLJeni at 1:55 AM on Feb. 3, 2011

• I do not. However, I was just talking to my DH about this the other day. My DH is a recovering addict, and says it's the best idea he's heard in years. I feel it's a great waste of tax payer money. Not only are we going to waste money on all those tests which go to those who don't use but those who do, are the ones that know how to get around the tests. I don't know many users who can't pass a test, because they know all the tricks. Besides that, those who don't get the help, aren't going to stop using, that's just what addicts are like, so who suffers, the children. It's the kids who don't get to see a doctor or have enough to eat... The innocent ones are the ones to suffer the most - as always!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 10:03 AM on Feb. 3, 2011

• SabrinaMBowen : I completely disagree with you on the tax payers money. I think in the long run it will save us money, because we will be able to eliminate the drug users from the program, and keep the people who truly need the money. I don't think that anyone who uses recreational drugs could justify this. I know that some people will be able to trick the system, but for every one that tricks the system, there will be another one that is found out. Instead of taking that money to purchase drugs, why not use it to pay for food and or other items, instead of having the county pay for your food so that you can buy drugs...
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:48 AM on Feb. 3, 2011