What makes your ear bleed?

My ear has been itching all day and so I finally decided to try and clean it with a q-tip (not hard) and there was blood on the tip. It wasn't dark colored wax but bright red blood. Has this ever happened to anyone? If so what caused it? It doesn't hurt. It just itches like crazy like when they drain KWIM?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:35 PM on Nov. 15, 2008 in Health

• most likely a busted ear drum but you never know til you see a doctor
    annamcg18

Answer by annamcg18 at 10:47 PM on Nov. 15, 2008

• I would say either a pimple (I've had them in there before) or a ruptured eardrum....but the ruptured eardrum sounds like it would be pretty painful.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 10:52 PM on Nov. 15, 2008

• I've had a pimple in my ear before too! As long as there is not blood flowing from your ear or there is no real significant amount, I would not be concerned. If you are having trouble hearing then I would worry a little more. Try rinsing with water while you are in the shower or bathtub.........just make sure to fully dry your ear afterwards.
    Tricia19

Answer by Tricia19 at 11:27 PM on Nov. 15, 2008

• If your ear has been itching all day AND you have been itching it, you probably rubbed the skin off or broke the skin in some way, which is causing the bleeding. Your skin is very thin in your ear so it is really easy to break the skin. A hydrocortisone cream can help stop the itching.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 8:49 AM on Nov. 16, 2008