how to decide on a name for baby.

Im just wondering whats the best way to pick a name for my son. I picked a name that Im really happy with but his father says no. were not married nor do we live together, and im kinda angry that he thinks he has a say on this.
Any suggestions?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:01 AM on Feb. 3, 2011 in Baby Names

• You could write a list of your top 3, see if he agrees w/ any of them?
    genagina

Answer by genagina at 12:23 AM on Feb. 3, 2011

• It's his child too. Make a list of your top 3 and have him do the same and discuss them.
    SweetLoveofMine

Answer by SweetLoveofMine at 6:16 AM on Feb. 3, 2011

• It's his child too, not just yours. He has a say in pretty much everything, including the name. You guys just need to sit down together and make out a list of names that you both like and then go from there. That's what my husband and I did. I found names I liked, he found names he liked and when one of us didn't like a name that was picked we tossed it out and started all over.
    poptart0325

Answer by poptart0325 at 9:07 AM on Feb. 3, 2011

• why wouldn't he have a say in this? This is his child too. You each need to make a list of your favorites - top 3,5,10. Compare them. See where you both can compromise.

I didn't love the name my DH wanted for our oldest son. However, I liked the nick name we use and I loved why he chose the names. He went along with my choice for DD and DS2 was just a mutual - hey I really like that name, hey, so do I.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 12:10 PM on Feb. 3, 2011

• If you aren't married. Not living together. Not planning to be together. And not pllanning on having the dad in the babys life.. Then he doesn't.

But if he wants to be a part of this childs life, and be a dad, then i think he should get a say.
    Mme.Langley

Answer by Mme.Langley at 5:48 PM on Feb. 3, 2011

• Doesn't sound like you guys are very close. Maybe you should just pick the name.
    SDMama77

Answer by SDMama77 at 9:11 PM on Feb. 3, 2011

• If you aren't together, he doesn't get a say. Your son, you're going to be the one raising him...if you plan on having a relationship with this person you should probably let him at least pick a middle name LOL. Make sure you like the name though, something I learned after having my first son. Yell his full name if it rolls off your tongue it's perfect lol. Congrats and good luck.
    kitchenwitch78

Answer by kitchenwitch78 at 9:14 PM on Feb. 3, 2011

• I agree with poptart!! He very much has a say....it IS his child too!

I like the idea of both putting down your 3-5 favorite names and then discussing it! You do need to learn to talk to each other....this is only the beginning of a long time of having to share ideas and such for this child!!!
    ratchetlee

Answer by ratchetlee at 9:15 PM on Feb. 3, 2011

• Its complicated.. As women we day dream of babys and there names just as soon as we understand the concept lol. We also carry it deliver it and most of the time get thru the first year alone. But he is the dad so he des have a say. I myself didint care for his oppinion the choice is yours to decide..
    Destins_Mommy

Answer by Destins_Mommy at 10:57 PM on Feb. 6, 2011