Landlord asked us to leave

Landlord has asked us to leave because he is complaining about my kids running up and down the stairs. So who break lease if we agree to move? He is trying to with hold our deposit.

justme581

Asked by justme581 at 12:04 AM on Feb. 3, 2011 in Money & Work

• The deposit is withheld when there is something that needs to be fixed or non payment of rent. He can't just keep it because of the noise. If he's stingy...you may have to fight him for this. Meanwhile I would see if you could get a free consultation from a lawyer and see where you legally stand. If he is asking you to leave he's breaking the lease, especially if there were no warnings.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:10 AM on Feb. 3, 2011

• I don't think he can do that, you may want to talk with a lawyer

how_reb

Answer by how_reb at 12:11 AM on Feb. 3, 2011

• how long did he give you to leave? In most states they have to court evict you and give you 30 days to get out. How ridiculous! Good luck
    genagina

Answer by genagina at 12:15 AM on Feb. 3, 2011

• He has to legally evict you and he knows you cannot be evicted for your kids.
    Pink_caffiene

Answer by Pink_caffiene at 12:17 AM on Feb. 3, 2011

• Well we are agreeing to leave. But he is turning his apartment complex over to the leasing agent. We want a bigger place but was going to stay until the end of our lease. But since he asked us to move and there is to much going on over here we agreed. But now he wants to keep deposit. We have to be out by the 5th of March. But he asked us first to move.
    justme581

Comment by justme581 (original poster) at 12:26 AM on Feb. 3, 2011

• THINK WELL, CONTROL KIDS FOR TWO MONTHS MORE, DONT BREAK CONTRACT IS MORE EXPENSSIVE, YOU NEED YOUR DEPOSIT IN THE FUTURE. JUST TALK TO THE MAN AND TRY TO CONVINCE HIM THAT WAS AN ACCIDENT OR SOMETHING. LUCK
    GlitteribonMom

Answer by GlitteribonMom at 5:13 AM on Feb. 3, 2011

• Check with your local renters' rights office, and stop letting the kids run up and down the halls.

Answer by rkoloms at 5:37 AM on Feb. 3, 2011

• Has he legally evicted you? If he just asked you to move out, then he can always say you broke the lease and that's why he's keeping your deposit. Get everything in writing. If it were me, I'd make him take it to court so I could get my money back.
    lovingmy4babies

Answer by lovingmy4babies at 8:48 AM on Feb. 3, 2011

• If there's no noise control mentioned in the lease agreement, he cannot really ask you to leave and expect you to just give up your deposit. Unless there's stuff that needs fixed up. Maybe ask if there is a specific time period he wants it to be quiet and do your best to keep things at a low level during that time.

I'd fight for the deposit back if there is no damage.
    JZ10FPM

Answer by JZ10FPM at 9:00 AM on Feb. 3, 2011

• My kids are not allowed and they do not run up and down the stairs and in the hall way. We dont allow it never have. My kids are controlled that way. Thats why its a wrong what he is doing.
    justme581

Comment by justme581 (original poster) at 9:08 AM on Feb. 3, 2011