• In the Spotlight:

I feel horrible.....I blame myself

When did u experience your first " I am the worst mom in the world" moment? I am asking because this weekend I felt just that. Here is what happened. My inlaws were here for the weekend visiting because my husband is deploying.
Saturday morning we all head out to Ihop for breakfast. My car seats 5 people and inlaws truck seats 6. For the entire 4 days they were here my husband, 2 of my 3 children his nephew and I go in my car. My inlaws along with my dd#2 ride in the truck. so I thought.
We arrive at Ihop and I get out of my car and the first thing my Mil asks me is "where is dd#2? Omg my Heart just dropped, we jumped back in the car and made it home in 2 min, the longest 2 min of my life. We drive up and see a note from my neighbor saying dd is at her house. I go get her and just hold her for a good minute. I felt like the worst parent alive! How could I forget my own daughter?!?!
I am not pointing fingers or blaming anyone, it was an honest mistake. But mind you that my nephew has been riding in our car the entire weekend, but yet my inlaws thought dd was still riding with us even when they know that i forbid to seat 4 kids in a 3 seated backseat, that is the reason why my dd has been riding with them because I can't fit all 4 kids in my car.
It was my mistake I put the blame all on me. I thought dd was with my in laws and they thought she was with me.
I had a long talk with my dd who is 8, she tells me " I looked out the window and I saw you guys going in the car to leave" I asked her why she didn't come out or say anything and she said "idk my tummy hurt"
Lesson learned : always know where your children are at all times, even in the hands of relatives.
Note to self: Dont beat urself up about this, who cares what others think. Shit happens.

So pls ladies share with me your " I am the worst parent alive" moment, that is if you have any. So I can put this bad feeling at ease. Thank you for reading.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:16 AM on Feb. 3, 2011 in General Parenting

• With lots of family, a husband being deployed a silly mishap or two are bound to happen--and you weren't the only adult involved so I definitely wouldn't get too hung up on this. Haven't forgotten my child yet, but I only have one.

I always put my son in the car at the grocery store before anything else so if I turn my back and the cart rolls or someone wants to grab something he is safe. So I got my son in the car and then found his stuffed animal for him and loaded up the car. About a mile down the street I feel something on my shoulder and its my son poking me. Silly Mommy, he says, you forgot my seatbelt. Luckily there was a place nearby to buckle him in right nearby.
    hotelmom123

Answer by hotelmom123 at 3:03 PM on Feb. 3, 2011

• Never had this type of episode, but it does remind me of Home Alone. But his parents were worse: not only did they leave the state, but there was a part 2 and 3... smh
    Proverbs_31

Answer by Proverbs_31 at 12:29 AM on Feb. 3, 2011

• My son got ahold of a soda can when we lived at my brothers. I was in the bathroom and he damn near cut the tip of his finger off with it
    Pink_caffiene

Answer by Pink_caffiene at 12:21 AM on Feb. 3, 2011

• It is no ones fault. not you. Not your in laws. Glad she was okay and she knew to go to the neighbors.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 12:27 AM on Feb. 3, 2011

• When my son was 2 weeks old we were sleeping on my futon (luckily it isn't high off he ground) and he was on my chest. I was so exhausted and my arm fell down and he rolled on he floor. I freaked out but he didn't even wake up.... I just started crying... i felt horrid!
    June_Mama09

Answer by June_Mama09 at 12:28 AM on Feb. 3, 2011

• My son was going on 3, I was 6 months pregnant. We came out of the grocery store, I was carrying plastic bags and my purse, so I didn't have him by the hand. He decided to start running away from me, towards the street. I dropped everything and chased him and I was barely able to get him by the overall straps and jerk him out of the path of a moving car. I felt like the worst mother in the world, for sure. I felt bad because I didn't have him by the hand, AND I felt bad because I should have done a better job of making sure he understood the rules for staying safe before we were in the situation.
    Fistandantalus

Answer by Fistandantalus at 9:39 AM on Feb. 3, 2011

• My "worst mother ever" moment was when I sent my dd to school with no lunch, and no lunch money because I was goin to bring her lunch to her and eat with her. I forgot! How horrible, she cried and cried. We all do things that are forgettful it is not the worst thing that will ever happen to them. Just remember that.
    parajumper3

Answer by parajumper3 at 4:15 PM on Feb. 3, 2011

• Walked into the kitchen to put some plates in the sink and DD flipped her high chair over trying to get out. She broke her leg. she was 18 months old.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 4:16 PM on Feb. 3, 2011

• I had my son in his carseat, strapped in. I was out of the truck and looking for something, well I closed the driver door and was going around to the passenger side. Got over there and realized I'd locked the kid in with the kid. Luckily my phone was in my pocket. But kiddo was really cold by the time hubby got there with the spare key.

I felt like crap.
    lstrickland

Answer by lstrickland at 4:21 PM on Feb. 3, 2011