When is it considered safe to introduce solids ie. rice cereal?

EminBC

Asked by EminBC at 12:38 AM on Feb. 3, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Keep in mind that solids fed to babies before they turn 1 are for the experience of eating them, not for nutrition (a subject most doctors know little about).Nutritionists recommend starting solids at 6 months; many now recommend skipping cereal and starting with a bit of avocado mashed with breastmilk (or formula). Then baked sweet potato, oatmeal, pumpkin, pureed peas, etc. Jarred baby food tastes awful, is expensive, and you never really know what is in it. Be sure to avoid the allergy trigger foods. This is not a complete list: before age 1, no soy, dairy, wheat, citrus, egg white, strawberries; before age 2 no honey, chocolate, nuts.
    Two great books /websites on feeding babies, with differing philosophies, Baby Led Weaning www.babyledweaning.com and Super Baby Food www.superbabyfood.com You should be able to find them at your local library

Answer by rkoloms at 6:19 AM on Feb. 3, 2011

• 6 months is a good general age to plan to feed your baby. My ped told me this was the best age but every ped says something different.
    dragonqueen

Answer by dragonqueen at 1:06 AM on Feb. 3, 2011

• 4 months is the best age to start it at that way they can start on 2nd foods when they are 6 months. the baby food jars for 1st foods state that it is for 4 months. its safe as long as they can sit up supported. my family doctor recommended 6 months. it depends on the state and doctor
    tink0922

Answer by tink0922 at 1:08 AM on Feb. 3, 2011

• The AAP currently recommends no solids before 6 months. It has to do with their stomach. Before 6 months, the lining is very porous to absorb nutrients from the stomach, but introducing non-breastmilk foods (including formula) increases their risk of developing allergies later in life. Plus, most babies haven't lost their tongue thrust reflex by then, anyway, and for the sake of avoiding a choking hazard, you need to wait until that's gone away.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 3:35 AM on Feb. 3, 2011

• I would talk to the doctor..I know now a days most say six months..with my first 2 children I gave them cereal at 4 months because at the time doctors were still saying 4 months was okay. With my DD I started at 3 1/2 months because she cried all the time and it helped.

Good Luck!
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 6:02 AM on Feb. 3, 2011

• look for signs to see if your baby is ready..if your baby seems ready give it a try and if he/she moves it out with her tongue then try again in a week or so..I started my son @4months with cereal..5months veggies(Dr recomended) but dont do it just to get your baby to sleep better at night ;)
    socalikim

Answer by socalikim at 3:17 AM on Feb. 3, 2011

• 4 months but the baby must be able to sit up and hold their head up. The introducing foods early thing causing allergies has recently been discovered to not be true. The first cereal feeding should be very soupy in consistency. It's ok to wait awhile to give cereal too.

SweetLoveofMine

Answer by SweetLoveofMine at 4:56 AM on Feb. 3, 2011