how to get rid of baby diarrehea?

my daughter is 17 months old and has been having diarrhea today. any suggestions as to help her get over it? it started today when she was laying down for a nap, she woke up soaked through in diarrhea (yellow color). she only had her usual milk for breakfast and an omelet with her daddy.

croe427

Asked by croe427 at 10:44 PM on Nov. 15, 2008 in Kids' Health

• I assume there was no vomiting. Was the diarrhea an isolated incident, if not, then how many times has she had diarrhea today? You will have to watch your little one, they can get dehydrated really quick ( I'm sure you know this).

Southerncharmes

Answer by Southerncharmes at 10:47 PM on Nov. 15, 2008

• depends on what caused it. If it's viral / bacterial / bad food, it just has to run it's course. If it's a food alergy, then elimate the food. Try florastor kids it's OTC but behind the counter. It's got a bunch of yeast bactria in it to help the intestines recover quickly.
    Anonymous

• The BRAT diet helps...Bananas rice applesauce and toast...Bananas are a good thing to help foirm up a stool. Mak sure to give lots of liquids and the BRAT diet and try to avoid Malox. I slows down getting rid of the gunk in their systems. It is better that they get rid if the gunk than keep it inside. SO just make sure to keep the lil one hydrated and the BRAT diet and you should see an improvement in 24 hours. If not then I would take he/she in to see the doc. Hope the little one starts feeling better and fast!
    nyteowl

Answer by nyteowl at 10:56 PM on Nov. 15, 2008

• Get some pedilite.
    Anonymous

• I remember when my oldest daughter was having diarrehea when she was 7 months old and I gave her some Kaopectate. I know it's not for children, but my doctor recommended it. I gave her a half of teaspoon and it worked wonders! I thought she was never gonna stop pooping! I use the same thing for myself and it helps.
    Make sure you talk to your doctor first before using it.
    my_jasnkiki

Answer by my_jasnkiki at 11:44 PM on Nov. 15, 2008

• avoid fatty foods and dairy. Give her a lot of fluids, but watch out for the juice bc she'll get diaper rash. Soak her in warm water often and put cream on her before she gets a rash. If it last more than a couple of days, it could be roto virus. My dd ended up in the hospital with that...no fun.
    qtnik

Answer by qtnik at 12:11 AM on Nov. 16, 2008

• I normally give my girls pedyalite if they have diarreah but my youngest doesn't take pedyalite very well so I give my youngest gatorade and it's clears right up also pretzels with salt and maybe a little 7-up. Works everytime.
    babyangelromero

Answer by babyangelromero at 3:34 AM on Nov. 16, 2008

• give her lemon , carrots and apples and lots of fluides
    fire

Answer by fire at 10:29 PM on Nov. 16, 2008

• actually when my child has diaherria i give him gataraide. It has electrolites in it. I also give him pepto but focus on the gataraide more than anything. good luck and bless you.
    Anonymous