WHO knows an Addict??

So my best friend is addicted to pain pills. Slowly getting off. I have feelings for him, but I really just don't wanna trust him. I'm there for him, but not WITH him. It's frustrating because he's GREAT and loves the way men should when he's sober. Is this a life long battle for him? Should I not hold my breath??

mamastyles

Asked by mamastyles at 1:40 AM on Feb. 3, 2011 in Relationships

• It is hard. He is lucky to have you. Why can't this stop?
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 1:42 AM on Feb. 3, 2011

• His dad is an addict. It's been an on and off struggle for 4 years. He can't afford rehab or he would go. He's strong, but the withdrawls are what gets him. Also, he has no insurance which sucks because he gets HORRIBLE teeth pain and he NEEDS some teeth pulled. (wisdom teeth). SO as soon as he gets clean, his teeth cause him major pain and it's a never ending cycle. Ugh.
    mamastyles

Comment by mamastyles (original poster) at 1:49 AM on Feb. 3, 2011

• Look for rehabs in your area. Many are free or charitable. Call local churches.
    Proverbs_31

Answer by Proverbs_31 at 2:11 AM on Feb. 3, 2011

• Sadly, you shouldn't get involved with him for some time. He needs to get to relearn how to deal with life without the aid of pills. Even if his life was pain-free there is an emotional attachment to the pills. The pills  are a form of escape, a romantic relationship would seriously harbor his sobriety.    In many states they have DSHS programs for rehab.

Opie99

Answer by Opie99 at 2:37 AM on Feb. 3, 2011

• I agree with Opie99. My ex-husband is an alcoholic. I finally had to cut him loose and save myself and my daughter. They need to learn how to live life sober and learn who they are before they can be good relationship material. Until then, the real him isn't there.
    Meeshelle08

Answer by Meeshelle08 at 1:52 PM on Feb. 3, 2011