Supply and demand...

Anyone know if there is truly a demand for "homemade crafts"? Such as, mosaic tables, homemade candles, jewelry, ect.

Blessedmommy215

Asked by Blessedmommy215 at 10:53 PM on Nov. 15, 2008 in Hobbies & Crafts

• Yes, there is a demand.. but its a bit tougher now, with the economy the way it is. It really all depends on what you make, how you make it, and how you price it. It is likely there is someone else out there who makes the same thing as you.. sometimes not as well, sometimes much better.. it really is hard to tell unless you do your research!!
    ETSY.com is a great place to start. Its like an online craft fair, everything sold on etsy is handmade and the shops are maintained by the actual artists... do a search for the things you make, and see where you stack up compared to what you see offered.. Thats how I do my pricing and even decide what of my items I will sell or not sell.
    LuminousMom

Answer by LuminousMom at 8:50 PM on Nov. 17, 2008

• The other thing you could do is visit a few craft fairs! Locally, there should be some coming up soon, its the holiday season after all.. just google (state name, or city name "craft fairs") and see what you come up with! The best way to know if there is a demand is to visit the places people go to purchase.
    Last but not least, make a few samples of your product and ask us Cafemom ladies! We can all give you honest answers of whether or not we think the price is right or we like it or whatever you want to know about it!
    LuminousMom