How long till you replace your cutting boards?

I've got a wooden one and 3 plastic ones. I put them in the dishwasher, but lately, it would still come out filmy, so I'd scrub it...and later had to scrape one of them only realizing that it was disgusting. I figured it was sanitized, but it was still gross...and then I am realizing I've had these for a few years...

How long is normal till you replace cutting boards?

Imortlmommy

Asked by Imortlmommy at 2:00 AM on Feb. 3, 2011 in Home & Garden

• I keep mine for years. If it seems gross, then replace it. They may get stains, but that doesn't mean they're dirty. You can go to a restaurant supply store and getthe color coded ones for specific types of food, which are nice to prevent cross-contamination.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 3:27 AM on Feb. 3, 2011

• depending on the ones I have... if the wooden ones start to hold stains to much (even after bleaching) I will replace it
    My plastic ones hold up well ... I do have one plastic cutting board that I have had for yrs and now needs to be replaced..
    They do last longer tho if you bleach them after use...
    gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 11:11 AM on Feb. 3, 2011

• I have three wooden cutting boards, have had one for 30 years and the other two around 20 years. I keep them cleaned and oiled, haven't felt the need to replace them.
    mikesmom65270

Answer by mikesmom65270 at 2:18 PM on Feb. 3, 2011

• Your plastic ones get scratches and grooves in them from the knives. Plastic ones also dull knives so you have to sharpen the knives. The plastic ones should always be used for chicken and turkey and pork. That way they can be cleanned and santitized. I use the chlorox wipes or lysol wipes on them. If your plastic ones are really scratchy then you might want to replace them if there are groves where bateria can get in.

With wooden ones, for veggies and other meats, you should not be putting them in the dishwasher but wash them off and use chlorox wipes or lysol wipes on them. You can sand them down and then treat whtem with oil if they get too bad to use. It isn't always necessary to replace them.
    Sweet_Carol_126

Answer by Sweet_Carol_126 at 10:08 PM on Feb. 8, 2011

• I just got mine for Christmas.
    free1

Answer by free1 at 10:56 AM on Feb. 5, 2011