do you think single mother is doing a disservice to their kids by not providing them with a father

A single mother- never being married when having the child>?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:53 PM on Nov. 15, 2008 in General Parenting

• Thank you for specific, I was about to go off. lol
    I dont think they are, most that are not married usually have a father figure in their life, like grandpa. So no I do not think so. If the mother isnt very well rounded, like with a boy and cant deal with boys issues that could be a disservice. But if the mother is aware and seeks someone else that can help her the child will be just fine.

I have known alot of single mothers and the only ones that I think are doing a disservice to their child are the ones that have different men in and out of their life. That does not teach the child good things.
    Anonymous

• No, I think children can be raised in all types of families. I think the mother needs to be sure to surround that child with people who love him though so he doesn't feel like mom is all he has. It is definately better to be single than to have an abusive father in the child's life.
    TanyaR1024

Answer by TanyaR1024 at 11:16 PM on Nov. 15, 2008

• As a mother of three, absolutly not! I am single right now , although not by choice, my husband passed away [5] years ago. I also have all boys. My youngest was only six years old. They are all fine! There is nothing wrong with not having a father. Have the father take an active roll unless he is not good for the baby. All a child needs is love. It doesn't matter if you are single , you still love them!!!
    41andholdin

Answer by 41andholdin at 12:47 AM on Nov. 16, 2008

• No. No I don't. There are many reasons why a child may not have his or her father a part of his or her life. While it is unfortunate that may be the case - that happens and it is normal. Sometimes a parent dies, sometimes a parent is an alchoholic or abusive and shouldn't be parenting at the moment, or sometimes a parent walks away and doesn't want to parent (dead beat). And sometimes a child has two mommies or a single woman chose to have a baby despite not having a SO at the moment. This is no way means that a child will be lacking or emotionally unstable. What it does mean is that perhaps knowing a child is missing out on a male rolde model or father figure means providing that child with male figures you trust who can step in and be that role model. Family comes in all forms....sometimes our biofam isn't capable of being that family we need at the moment. So create the family that your child deserves.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 12:16 PM on Nov. 16, 2008

• It is better to be a single mom than a mom who is either 1) in a crappy relationship with a dirt bag 2) with the father not because she loves him but because she feels she shold be 3) no relationship that the people are together because of the child with no other reasons to be together is a healthy example to set for a kid or a good example to set for a kid.
    babyfat5

Answer by babyfat5 at 4:25 PM on Nov. 16, 2008

• No No and No sometimes the Mother doesn't have a choice when the father doesn't wanna do right. single Mothers shouldnt be criticized the fathers that arent taking care of their children should be criticized
    lavissa

Answer by lavissa at 5:35 PM on Jun. 20, 2009